Windows Server 2012 - How To Access Other Computers In The Local Area Net

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by Rock Hunter, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Rock Hunter

Rock Hunter MDL Senior Member

Dec 6, 2011
    I've been able to get most of the functions that I need to work. I can print. I can get on the internet. I've got an anti virus program working. But I can't connect to other computers in the building. Server automatically configures itself as a domaine. I can't join a Homegroup (which is how I have the building setup (7 workstations). I did join the Workgroup. But that is not letting me connect to other computers. Any suggestions?

2. 100

100 MDL Expert

May 17, 2011
    This doesn't make sense. A machine is either joined to a domain, or a workgroup.

Also, I hope you're not using the built-in administrator account, but a separately created user account.

3. Rock Hunter

Rock Hunter MDL Senior Member

Dec 6, 2011
    I've Tried It Both Ways

I can see the shares but when I try to open any of them I get asked for a user name and password. I am dual booting with Windows 7 and when in Windows 7 I don't have that problem. But in Windows 7, both computers are part of a Homegroup as well as a Workgroup.

4. roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT MDL Addicted

Sep 1, 2007
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this is normal behavior without Homegroup turned on, or in this case, without Homegroup capability. You have to enter a username and password for a Windows user account that is local to the target PC. You can check the box to remember the credentials the first time you access each target PC.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. roylion15

roylion15 MDL Member

May 1, 2009
    #5 roylion15, Nov 8, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
    Hello ,
    No homegroup and no "workgroup" by using a Domain with Active Directory.
    You need to create the users and computers accounts on the AD, all the computers must be also configured as members of a domain in their network properties
    Thus Homegroup is disabled and a simple workgroup is now part of a domain...

For a simple home utilisation, i suggest you to install the Small business Essentials version of server 2012. This is more simple to configure with the built-in connector for the computers , Dashboard , remote web access , media streaming etc ...
    With Dashboard you can easy configure all the shares for all the users accounts .
    Then you can always upgrade later to standart version without losing certain "unique" features of SBE 2012
    Using now SBE 2012 and win 7/ 8 and mac computers at home without any problems.