Windows Server 2012 Remote Desktop (Questions & Activation)

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by applegate, Jun 1, 2012.

1. applegate

applegate MDL Member

Aug 1, 2009
    I have used the select license method succesfully :biggrin: on the Remote Desktop feature with Windows Server 2012, but I can not get the Host Server to be connected :confused: to the license server on the same machine. The new Server Manager interface doesn't help me and the snap-in tsconfig.msc is not present any more.

Where to solve? (information from the new RD Licensing Diagnoser)

Problem: The licensing mode for the Remote Desktop Session Host server is not configured.

Suggested Resolution: Set the licensing mode on the Remote Desktop Host server to either Per User or Per Device

Thx

2. 100

100 MDL Expert

May 17, 2011
    You need to use the Remote Desktop Services installation option in the "Add Roles and Features" wizard (not "role-based or feature-based"). It will install the necessary services on the server(s) you select, and you can then select "per user" or "per device" in Server Manager > Remote Desktop Services > Overview > Deployment Overview/Tasks > Edit Deployment Properties > RD Licensing. I think you also need to create a server collection and add your session host servers to it. The licensing diagnoser should report everything working correctly then.
    Of course the license server should be activated and appropriate licenses installed (per user/per device).

3. applegate

applegate MDL Member

Aug 1, 2009
    @100, Thx I found out but installing is still a PITA. See attachment when configuring the RDS server.

RDSFAILED.JPG

Did a clean server install again but the problem persists.

4. applegate

applegate MDL Member

Aug 1, 2009
    After 3 clean Server installs (only domain server as pre-requisite) and trying to install the RD Host Services (just nothing special) errors persists :mat:.

RDSFAILED2.JPG RDSFAILED3.JPG RDSFAILED4.JPG

5. 100

100 MDL Expert

May 17, 2011
    One of the screenshots shows the Remote Desktop Management service not running. There's probably an error message in the event log about why it's not starting.

6. applegate

applegate MDL Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Not so much usefull information in the error log :confused:. This Server 2012 release is still to buggy. Give me Server 2008 R2 and I do the trick in 60 minutes. Maybe I wait for the next version....

RDSFAILED10.JPG RDSFAILED11.JPG

7. 100

100 MDL Expert

May 17, 2011
    Perhaps it's an issue with the domain functional level? My test domain is at 2003 functional level, with one DC running 2008 R2 and another one on 2012 RC.

8. applegate

applegate MDL Member

Aug 1, 2009
    @100, reinstalled Server 2012 RC with Domain Functional Level 2008 R2, but no cure for the RD Host Problem on Server 2012 RC.:confused:

I used the same (hardware) machine successfully with 2008 R2 before, so I think Server 2012 RC is still to buggy on the Remote Desktop Host Services....

Don't know what to do different, because te only steps made are:

1) Installing Software on Machine with static local IP, change the machine name to TESTSERVER
    2) Drivers (NIC, ATK, Graphics Card) and Turned of all Firewall things and some basic GPEDIT.MSC changes for Internet Zones
    3) Installing ADS functionality
    4) Promote to domain TEST.INTRANET (func. level 2008 R2)
    5) Installed the Remote Desktop Services

Error....

9. vandetta

vandetta MDL Novice

Aug 17, 2009
    #10 vandetta, Jul 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
    I spent a couple hours on this before I gave up. I'm glad I'm not alone on this issue. I didn't bother installing the DC role but with the RD session host and RD license server I couldn't get the session host to recognize the activated cals I had on the same box.

I'm guessing its because this preview expires in 120 days that you can't have RD license server recognized?

Also I'm having this weird issue where I'm able to log in with the same user twice? I'm wondering if its because I applied the watermark removal patch that was meant for windows 8? It also patched the termsrv.dll

forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/31829-Windows-8-Patcher That one. I ended up moving to server 2012 was because one of the rdp accounts got brute forced somehow even with a long password. Should have checked the security logs. Anyway on a different rdp port now and everyone has to have 8 char passwords : /

10. applegate

applegate MDL Member

Aug 1, 2009
  11. 100

100 MDL Expert

May 17, 2011
    Umm... for reasons that should be obvious, you should not install it on a DC.

12. vandetta

vandetta MDL Novice

Aug 17, 2009
    #13 vandetta, Jul 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
    Well I thought it had to be part of a domain to use the overview tab under remote desktop services.

Anyway I never installed the domain controller role- I just thought I needed to be part of a domain. Every time I click on overview on remote desktop services from server manger I get "you are currently logged on as a local administrator on the computer. You must be logged on a domain user to mange servers and collections.

I was able to get the remote desktop licensing working finally by using gpedit.msc and specifying the licensing server there.
    Computer Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Remote Desktop Services\Remote Desktop Session Host\Licensing

I was also able to limit users to one session as well.

The only issue I'm having is trying to enable remote control of an account. I could have sworn before I could just right click on a user name from task manager and view or control their session. I've already enabled both group policies but no dice. I get no option to remote control their session.