Windows Server 2016 RTM Metro Apps Games not working

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by vanden, Feb 15, 2017.

1. vanden

vanden MDL Junior Member

Mar 28, 2014
    #1 vanden, Feb 15, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
    Hello,I have installed many Windows 10 Metro Apps by power shell on Server 2016, a majority full working :
    3D Builder
    Alarms & Clock
    Calculator
    Calendar
    Camera
    Contact Support
    Get Office
    Get Started
    Groove Music
    Mail
    Maps
    Money
    Movies & TV
    News
    OneNote
    People
    Phone Companion
    Photos
    Sports
    Voice Recorder
    Weather
    Windows Feedback
    Xbox (Working but Games close immediately)
    TuneIn Radio
    Paid Wi-Fi & Cellular
    PDF reader
    Windows Scan
    Messaging
    Netflix
    Skype Preview
    Sway
    Twiter
    Sticky Notes
    Word Mobile
    Excel Mobile
    Powerpoint Mobile

But Metro Games not working :
    Asphalt 8: Airborne
    Microsoft Solitaire Collection
    Candy Crush Soda Saga

Also Windows Store launches ... BUT no new Apps install ...

Do you know a solution ?

EDIT :
    I found a way to run the WindowsStore with Windows Server 2016.
    https://forums.mydigitallife.net/th...-Policy-Editor

The WindowsStore is blocked by Windows-Product-Policy.

With Windows-Product-Policy-Editor I have backed up a Windows-Product-Policy file from Windows10.

With Windows-Product-Policy-Editor (on Windows Server 2016) I load this file.

After restarting the WindowsStore works properly!

After installing the apps with the windows store you can reactivate all the server functions by reactivating SPPSvc and reboot.

You can also use this method to install any desktop software that does not install on server versions.
    Tested :
    Avast Free Antivirus
    Acronis true image 2016 & 2017

I also found How activate Cortana on server 2016 :
    Change Windows-Product-Policy : "Cortana-AllowCortana-Enabled" to 1 ..

By cons Metro games still do not work so they are not blocked by Windows-Product-Policy.

2. sythrar

sythrar MDL Novice

Mar 1, 2010
    Use Process Explorer and check for missing dll or something.

3. atgpud2003

atgpud2003 MDL Member

Apr 30, 2015
    WHY would you running "DESKTOP" on server flavor, Use Windows 10, This is a Server that can do Files server, Webhosting, Email Hosting and Media Server.. Not tend for DESKTOP.. Also, I run 4 servers 4 NAS..

ATGPUD2003

4. vanden

vanden MDL Junior Member

Mar 28, 2014
    #4 vanden, Jul 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
    (OP)
    I had to use a Windows Server because I have 4 physical processors ...

But now that I have found how to activate more than 2 physical processors on Windows 10 ... So now I'm on Windows 10 !

https://forums.mydigitallife.net/th...ore-than-2-physical-cpus-4-for-example.73289/

Unfortunately this technical (which works very well with Win10 1607) no longer works with Win10 1703 ...

5. atgpud2003

atgpud2003 MDL Member

Apr 30, 2015
    Really? No. I have 4 processor running Windows 10 Pro! the latest one and works fine.. I have QUAD cores. IF you use Professional should do 4 CPU? Interesting.. One my customer have 4 CPU! Works.. Maybe your bios may not works on your system, I can be wrong..

6. vanden

vanden MDL Junior Member

Mar 28, 2014
  7. Thinkpoint

Thinkpoint MDL Novice

Jun 18, 2017
    Wow, this is the first time I've heard of someone running a desktop with 4 CPUs. Just curious, are you using it as a server? If not, what do you use it for?

8. GodHand

GodHand MDL Senior Member

Jul 15, 2016
    He is running a server with client apps and such installed, and using it as a desktop. In the end, its core is still optimized for server use. The only reason for someone to install a bunch of client-side apps and programs on a server is to run it as their desktop OS flavor. I will give credit where credit is due: At least he's doing it because of the hardware he has and not because he read some silliness elsewhere that said Windows Server is better for gaming than regular Windows 10 (I've heard this too many times to count).

I have a full enterprise Windows Server 2016, too, and it's hard for me not to use it as a desktop even via VPN/Remote Management just because the fluidity, debloat, significant drop in idle resources compared to client Windows OS' and the fact that it is not nearly as fragile as client-side Windows 10 and below. The only version of Windows 10 that comes close is Windows Enterprise LTSB (my favorite Windows 10 flavor).

9. vanden

vanden MDL Junior Member

Mar 28, 2014