Windows Server Technical Preview 3 (10537.0.150829-0745)

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by zimu000, Sep 15, 2015.

1. zimu000

zimu000 MDL Novice

Aug 21, 2013
    #1 zimu000, Sep 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  2. SLRVision39

SLRVision39 MDL Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Hi,
    has anyone tried to install Hyper-V role successfully ?
    I've installed it on my laptop as I use to do it (boot from VHDX on MacBook Pro 15" with Retina) and the Hyper-V role doesn't want to start.
    Previous version was working without any problem :(

3. RobrPatty

RobrPatty MDL Senior Member

Jul 23, 2009
    CAn't get net teaming to work among other things. MS has a long way to go to make Server a viable OS.

4. SLRVision39

SLRVision39 MDL Member

Aug 5, 2009
    I've identified the problem : it comes from my network cards not being displayed correctly in the Network connection panel.
    When I install the Hyper-V role without selecting the network card, it doesn't crash... but I cannot manage my network card at all.
    I wanted to try the nested VM so I installed a W2K16 TP3 VM in which I wanted to enable Hyper-V role but it tells me that my processor doesn't support virtualization.
    Well, I don't see any spec or documentation regarding the kind of processor needed to support this.

5. mrbbq

mrbbq MDL Member

Jul 18, 2015
    Interesting how much the GUI has been taken back to the 10 default look (and FINALLY we can get rid of the horrendous window border colors again!) but a shame to see it so far past RTM and even simple things like the Settings pages still broken.

Also of important note; there is now a process running right at startup with "telemetry" in the name.
    If they think they can get away with gathering data from servers they're in for a rude awakening...

6. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller MDL Spinning Tortoise

Dec 21, 2012
    Correction: Server 2016 did not RTM, yet. It's still Preview.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. CODYQX4

CODYQX4 MDL Developer

Sep 4, 2009
    Don't have time to test, and it's BETA anyway, but has anyone run MTK on it yet?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. CODYQX4

CODYQX4 MDL Developer

Sep 4, 2009
    Sadly, in this day and age, they've established precedent to try that.

Your own AV (AVG) can spy on you even harder than the spyware a decade ago. Default spying on Servers and Enterprise PCs is to be expected. Businesses better tighten their Firewalls...

9. hanzzon2

hanzzon2 MDL Member

Dec 1, 2007
  10. dummekuehe

dummekuehe MDL Senior Member

Jan 11, 2009
    #10 dummekuehe, Sep 22, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
    since the key is a server 2012 r2 gvlk key i tried kms
    but is there maybe beta a key to activate the os permanently

11. mrbbq

mrbbq MDL Member

Jul 18, 2015
  12. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    How to run settings app in this build?

Had to do admin cmd prompt -> sconfig -> option 6 to get the defender updates.

13. RobrPatty

RobrPatty MDL Senior Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Server Manager/computer/install updates/settings

14. circit1

circit1 MDL Novice

Sep 17, 2011
    just a heads up..

the new containers feature is only enabled for local not hyperv (hyperv containers in tp4)

the awesome remotefx (over win10) changes that enable both opengl and opencl are broken in tp3 and the only response is wait for tp4
    infopost and howto(with warning)
    edit:cant link just google "Experience guide for Enabling OpenGL Support for vGPU in Server 2016" on technet it shows the warning atm

15. RamGuy

RamGuy MDL Member

Jun 27, 2009
    Wow, Microsoft do indeed need to put some effort into Windows Server 2016 if this is supposed to release Early-2016.... First of, why are they bundling all these "apps" and not their legacy counterpart with this operating system? I'm okay with using Microsoft Edge instead of Internet Explorer, using the new "app" version of the calculator and whatnot. There is one huge problem though, they do not work with the built-in administrator account which is the default account within Windows Server. Why is this even the case, and how come Microsoft is starting to bundle these apps and making them the default ones when they can't be launched using the default admin account within the operating system?

16. circit1

circit1 MDL Novice

Sep 17, 2011
    just wondering.. has anyone found a use for nanoserver?
    the best ive done is to load in its registry, disable the firewall(wtf is it on with no off in EMC), and swapout the shell=emc to cmd

im figuring to try:

throwing java on it and seeing if it can be a cool microserver for minecraft(thou probably not alot faster then full server)

getting wamp or similar as a micro http server

(and highly ambitious)
    installing any role or part of exchange 2016

now the last one might be a stretch but looking at how different the 2016 install is in docs and how in microsofts own nanoserver video's they are pushing companies to ask their server software vendors why they need local tools and thus gui's im wondering is it a stretch?

the missing bits of tp3 and the missing nanoserver webui thats "comming soon" make me think tp4 might be req first.