Windows slow when I copy and paste in the HDD

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Thvle, May 17, 2013.

1. Thvle

Thvle MDL Member

Oct 7, 2012
    Hi, I have a Crucial M4 128gb (SATA II), in it I have installed Windows, and then I have a 1TB HDD (Samsung HD103SJ), and in it I have installed games.

The problem is that when I copy and paste a folder (for example) from the HDD to another directory on the same HDD, everything is going very slow. And do not understand why, It should not affect the performance of the OS, right? I have the OS on the SSD! :(

Normal is what I get?

2. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    #2 PhaseDoubt, May 18, 2013
    Last edited: May 18, 2013
    170 views and no comments ... I'll take a shot at it.

Is this a new problem? How much data are you copying? The larger the amount of data, the longer it takes.

When you say everything is going slow do you mean the copy process takes a long time or do you mean your computer slows down in general?

It would be helpful to know more of your system specs. You may simply have a low end machine with minimal specs.

3. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    An other point is:
    • as bigger the file = as faster the transfer
    • as smaller the file = as slower the transfer

That applies to all Windows versions.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. alextheg

alextheg Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Windows 7 file transfer has always been known to be slow. Try third party software such as Terracopy . I've tried it before and noticed improvements .

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Also funny things was, at the time I still was using Windows 7, that the file transfer using USB 3.0 started fast but goes down below the speed of USB 2.0. I was starting USB 3.0 only again after changed to Windows 8! On the exact same machine, just to note!

6. Thvle

Thvle MDL Member

Oct 7, 2012
    #6 Thvle, May 18, 2013
    (OP)
    Let's see, the problem is that when I copy and paste a folder of large size (14GB, for example) to another directory (but within the same HDD), the overall performance of the computer (OS and other programs that are installed on the SSD), it's going very slow ... It's like they saturate the bus.

When I copy the folder of 14GB to other directory, is 50MB/sec maximum.

My motherboard is SATA 2.

Mi PC specifications is:

Phenom II 965 3.4Ghz

4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR2 800mhz

ASUS M4A78L-M

Crucial M4 128GB SSD

HD103SJ Samsung 1TB HDD

7. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Normally while copy a folder with content within the same HDD, it's a fast process (even in Windows 7) and need just a few seconds, if the HDD isn't totally fragmented. Copy to an other HDD, the transfer speed would be up to 60MB/s or even more.

But the speed will (a lot) differs because of the transfer of Files of different size and different structure (type of file).

8. Thvle

Thvle MDL Member

Oct 7, 2012
    What my problem is not the speed when copying! If that does not use the HDD, I lower the overall performance of the entire computer (SSD), when it should not be like that, do not you think? It's like they do saturate the bus and leave the SSD bandwidth.

9. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Sorry, I don't use SSD, it's to expensive in Thailand!

10. edee

edee MDL Novice

May 6, 2011
    #10 edee, May 18, 2013
    If you are copying files from one place to another on the same hard drive, the copy should be almost instantaneous no matter the size of the file, I have copied and moved files on my HD that were hundreds and thousands of MB in size and the move was almost instant, the story is different though if you are going to copy to another drive, then it could take some time depending on the size of the file.

You may either ....
    a.) Try and defrag the drive.
    b.) Check your hard drives health, it may be getting near to the end of it's life.

11. Thvle

Thvle MDL Member

Oct 7, 2012
    Instantaneous 14Gb?

12. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I wrote the same (with other words) in Post #7! If your sys is slowing down, something isn't OK! First defragment the HDD!

13. Thvle

Thvle MDL Member

Oct 7, 2012
    The HDD and the SSD is OK, perfect status. I check with CrystalDiskInfo, HDTune, etc...

14. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    #14 PhaseDoubt, May 18, 2013
    Odd. If I copy an 5k document for HDD to HDD it's almost instantaneous. But when I copy a 5GB .vhd file for HDD to HDD it takes three minutes.

I have an 11GB .vhd file I copied recently and it took almost seven minutes.

The rate (bits per second for example) may be higher for the larger file, but the total time it takes to transfer is longer the larger the file.

15. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    Yet by your own admission something is wrong. It may be that what your diagnostics is testing is not your problem. What you might want to try is a copying test on another computer with the same OS. If you get similar results, you're right. If you don't then your disk may indeed have a problem.

16. Thvle

Thvle MDL Member

Oct 7, 2012
    Hard drives go well. I made SSD and HDD benchmarks, and provide a few perfect scores.

The problem certainly is the motherboard, which is saturated. It sucks plate 40 €.

17. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Maybe I should have written it following:

small files, let say 500pcs, each 1 MB would need longer time to copy from HDD to an other HDD than and single file 500MB from HDD to HDD. It's because of kind auto-verify that the filecopied is the same as the original, that's where "loosing" the time!

The overall speed of copy is also depend on other factors like the internal Bus Speed of the MB, the Chipset used and so on!

18. Michel

Michel MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    Copy files is different then when you cut files.

19. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    #19 EFA11, May 18, 2013
    Moving instead of copying would be much faster to do on the same drive as it is not "moving" data, just adjusting the tables on the hdd. Copying would be slower as it has to reproduce the data to duplicate it.

When you copy or move from HDD to HDD, the difference is minimal as it has to transfer data from one drive to the other. The slower drive will always decide the speed of the transfer, and copying to the other HDD would be much safer than moving.

If you are having issues with system slowdown because of a transfer, the first thing I would do is temporarily disable AV (AVG, DEFENDER etc) to see if they are part of the problem. If you have a very large amount of data to be transferred, you might also consider booting to a utility that will allow file transfer. Booting to a liveCD -or what I use, Paragon, they offer a free rescue disk-for example would help you to see if you are indeed having trouble with the OS or the Drive since the OS would be out of the picture during the transfer.

20. edee

edee MDL Novice

May 6, 2011
    #20 edee, May 18, 2013
    Yup, pretty much instantaneous, because your only moving the file from one location to another on the same hard drive. So basically it's not the file itself that is moving, Windows is just re writing the location of where you want it, basically the 14GB file goes nowhere your just telling Windows to change the location, this is only IF you are dragging and dropping the file from one location to another. If you are cut, copying and pasting to another location therein would lye the problem, 14GB would take quite some time to paste to another location even if on the same HD ..... Probably at least an hour or two or more.

As far as it affecting the performance of the OS on a separate drive, it shouldn't, I do it all the time for backup reasons from my main OS drive to an external drive which is considerably slower and I see no loss of performance in my OS at all.

Do yourself a favor ..... Defrag, if that doesn't work check the health of the hard drive.