Windows Standard Embedded 7 Restore/Repair Help

Discussion in 'Windows Embedded' started by matkins1, Jul 3, 2020.

1. matkins1

matkins1 MDL Novice

Jul 3, 2020
    Hi Everyone,

I have a piece of test equipment with a custom built PC that controls it running Windows Standard Embedded 7. I frequently have to run SFC /SCANNOW to fix errors and it's getting worse. I do not have a copy of the system image or ability to create a restore stick. Only thing that's been successful so far is getting the correct OEM Key from the OS.

After a bunch of internet searching and reading I've come to two thoughts.

First is to try and create a USB restore drive as I do have a copy of Win7 Ultimate x64 as an ISO. Problem is I haven't done it in a while and all I seem to be able to create is a non-bootable install. I have set the BIOS to try to boot from the USB first but it never does.

The other idea is to just install W7Ux64 but I don't know if that will be successful or not.

I've also thought about trying to use the MS tools and try to extract/create the existing WSE7 image but I have no experience in that area.

Any advice or suggestions?

2. Shortyportuguese

Shortyportuguese MDL Senior Member

Apr 3, 2019
    Do you have all the drivers and software for this machine?
    If you have, you can Re-install the O.S following the same components that you have in your actual system.
    To know what component you have in WES7, you can use DISM to discover (dism /online /get-packages /format:table > C:\packages.txt)
    And just install WES7 following the results of the TXT file... You alternatively can install the minimum configuration and add the packages after with DISM (DISM /Online /Add-Package /PackagePath)
    I hope I could help you with this in some way...
    Have a nice Sunday

3. matkins1

matkins1 MDL Novice

Jul 3, 2020
    Thanks for the reply, doesn't sound as involved as I thought. I would need to find one application first. It's so a peripheral device can be controlled. There is also a touch screen panel I need to find software/drivers for. Everything else should be straight forward.

It would be so much easier to just ditch embedded and install Win10.