Windows Storage Server 2003 R2 x64

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by bm256, Jul 3, 2012.

1. bm256

bm256 MDL Novice

Jul 3, 2012
    Hi all, this is my first post here, so please forgive me if I have not searched long or hard enough for the answers I seek. Unfortunately, I am terribly confused by everything I've found.

I bought a second hand Dell server the other day, which still has its COA sticker but I have no media for it, and would prefer to be able to install a version of Server that will accept the license key that I already have.

From the threads I've found that talk about WSS, I keep seeing mentions of "normal" Windows Server, WUSS, etc. and it's just confusing me. I understand that ISO's can be converted from Trial to OEM or MSDN/Retail.

The COA sticker says it's the Workgroup edition.

So here are my first questions:

Are all those versions of server the same thing underneath or with a little conversion?
    Do I need Retail or OEM?

I would appreciate any help anyone can give here.

Regards,
    BM.

2. bm256

bm256 MDL Novice

Jul 3, 2012
    Right, I've found this thread very helpful for creating a Dell OEM disc for Server 2003, but now I'm stuck at how I get from there to Storage Server 2003?

Unfortunately, I can't post links yet...
    /threads/22855-Server-2003-gt-Trial-to-MSDN-conversion-using-Delta?p=542352&viewfull=1#post542352

Again, any help would be great!

Thanks,
    BM.

3. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
  4. bm256

bm256 MDL Novice

Jul 3, 2012
    #4 bm256, Jul 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
    (OP)
    I've got as far as creating an x64 MSDN Retail disc using the instructions in the post I linked to above.

Now is where I need some help and clarification... to create the OEM version, I need the correct OEMBIOS files, and to modify SETUPP.INI.

I've downloaded the OEMBIOS files, and it seems quite obvious where to put them, but do I need to modify them before I use them? Also, I can't find SETUP.INI so far. Should I create a new file or am I just missing it?

Thanks,
    Ben.

EDIT: Found the SETUPP.INI file, just need to know what to do with the OEMBIOS files now :)
    EDIT: I'm done now, I've managed to make it work! I've been trying for DAYS to make this server work and now it is, so I just want to say thanks everyone. I'm going to put a list of instructions up that I used to make this disc. Even if it's too old now to help many other people, I personally would like to have all the instructions and links in one place.

5. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008