windows "subscription model" weirdness...

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by double_kill, Apr 29, 2014.

1. double_kill

double_kill MDL Member

Oct 10, 2011
    hey guys. (haven't posted anything in a while heh)

hearing about this "subscription based windows" has been bugging my mind lately and i just was wanting some opinion from everyone about it...
    but the biggest question of mine (and probably others too) is, it cant be likely that they would drop the standalone non-subscription windows any time soon would it? I mean.. they are still keeping the regular office 2013 alive and whatnot even after the cloud based office came out...
    I remember in a post on tech net (I cant find the link, if someone could post it that'd be great) where M$ said they wouldn't really drop the regular windows and cloud wasn't really here for windows to /only/ be on.. so yeah.. maybe pointless post but just want to know what people think
    personally I cant stand the idea of it.

2. BigW

BigW MDL Member

Apr 25, 2010
    This subscription model will only apply for private customers. Companies will almost ever get a full Windows Copy for the forseeable future. If you look at Chromebooks they are already presenting (although for free) this subscription model and nobody who buys these things are complaining very much. I've said a few years back that Windows with a very basic function-set will be free because they make enouth money with selling apps. This is a first step in this direction.

3. double_kill

double_kill MDL Member

Oct 10, 2011
    but even with that said, that isn't a 100% good reason for them to dump the full version of the system correct? I doubt in my own mind they will do such a thing, just curious.

4. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    I don't think they will dump the OS... it's just an alterative activation methodology...

Think of them as having the KMS server to activate against when your subscriptions runs out... the OS will still be on your local machine and thus an emulator can activate it :biggrin:

Problem will be not having a local server to debug to get the protocol to create an emulator..:(

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. double_kill

double_kill MDL Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Yeah I was actually thinking like that, about just emulating the KMS-like thing. :D
    But whatever happens to be honest, lets hope they don't go through with some thing like adobe did with their product.. I've read since ballmer quit plans "could" change for it so.. lets hope it does ;)

6. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    I think that in the future it all will be about subscriptions because you can put a time limit on them en put a higher price on them in case of inflation !

Greetz Base

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. double_kill

double_kill MDL Member

Oct 10, 2011

hopefully that wont happen.. and even if it did i'd like to think people would be smart enough to not buy into that. sure seems that way now.. but they do always like exaggerating what the (cough) "future" is supposed to be.