Windows to dump option to turn Defender off....

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Rickkins, Aug 24, 2020.

1. Rickkins

Rickkins MDL Senior Member

Jul 29, 2009
  2. Krakatoa

Krakatoa MDL Addicted

Feb 22, 2011
    An easy way to deactivate Defender.
    Code:
    pushd "%~dp0"
    NSudoLC -U:T -P:E -Wait -ShowWindowMode:Hide NET stop windefend
    NSudoLC -U:T -P:E -Wait -ShowWindowMode:Hide SC config windefend start=demand
    reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender" /v "DisableAntiSpyware" /d 1 /t REG_DWORD /f
    pause
    It still works.

3. bfoos

bfoos MDL Guide Dog

Jun 15, 2008
    Defender Control still works as well.

4. Rickkins

Jul 29, 2009
    Never heard of it before, but I'll surely check it out. Think it'll still work after they make the changes...?? I guess that's something that remains to be seen....

5. Krakatoa

Krakatoa MDL Addicted

Feb 22, 2011
    Defender Control does the same thing as the script I provided.

6. bfoos

bfoos MDL Guide Dog

Jun 15, 2008
    Surely it does, but it also requires use of Nsudo. I'm not bashing Nsudo by any means, in fact I use it myself with a customized json file and added to my Open Shell menu right below the Run item to launch various utilities with no security limitations. But I consider myself to be very much a power user and wouldn't recommend it to anyone without at least my level of knowledge and expertise. And the internet being a wall that often lies albeit sometimes temporarily between me and judgement of someones skill and or knowledge level just won't allow me to. It's right up there with me being unwilling to recommend to someone to completely disable UAC.

Both apps come from reputable developers, one is dedicated solely to dis/enabling Defender and the other has much wider usage potential. In the end, having a scheduled task launch Defender Control 30 seconds after I log into my account and having it sit in my system tray for when its need arises is just way more convenient than using scripts for me. To each their own!

7. Dude Guyman

Dude Guyman MDL Senior Member

Jun 20, 2017
    So what update is it that is supposed to do this? If I really can not disable Defender, I will be all done with Windows. I already hate it, but that would be the last straw.

8. Rickkins

Jul 29, 2009
    I'm not sure about what update will include this update, nor whether or not the 'Defender Control' will work around it. I guess we are in a wait and see situation, unless someone much smarter than me(don't start:D) can answer that question...

9. Feniksrising

Feniksrising MDL Member

Nov 27, 2016
    I think this is not going to happen, Enterprise users won't appreciate it.

Maybe they'll do it for the Home users.

10. Rickkins

Jul 29, 2009

One hopes you are right.

11. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami MDL Expert

Mar 15, 2014
    MS added the info about Tamper Protection later, at first they merely stated:

12. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    #13 AveYo, Aug 26, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Is it really a .bat or is it only for nostalgia? These days, command scripts use the .cmd extension.

14. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    .cmd is a fake extension, with zero extra functionality, probably from the windows millenium era when ms was artificially hampering the underlying DOS subsystem
    guess old habits die hard since they still hamper win32 atm and try to shovel those s**tty "native" apps down our throats :p
    .bat is the real batch extension, and the superior one at that. pastebin also downloads it as is, without adding the lame .txt like for all other extensions including cmd ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    .cmd was the original extension for all NT-based Windows versions, TMK. .bat was used with the DOS-based ones (.BAT comes from DOS).

While there might not be any difference today, I remember there was a difference in at least Windows NT4 and possibly 2000, where .cmd used CMD.EXE, while .bat invoked COMMAND.COM and some DOS shims. Well, COMMAND.COM is no more.

16. Windows_Addict

Windows_Addict MDL Expert

Jul 19, 2018
  17. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    oh yeah I 'member now, the 16bit stuff. but to be fair, old command.com was mature and trumped the newer one for quite some time;
    I did not like much nt, preferred 3.1, 3.11, 9x, xp. At work tough I had my plate full of win2k :p
    still, .bat is the way!

18. Krakatoa

Krakatoa MDL Addicted

Feb 22, 2011
    #19 Krakatoa, Aug 27, 2020
    Missing grid (one or two)?

19. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    #20 AveYo, Aug 27, 2020
    no, it's purposely not commented out, meaning default windows value is in effect (ON) lines beginning with # are skipped
    I've layered the personal configuration tweaks in pairs of sp... (set tweaked value) followed by rp (remove tweaked value) for convenience
    (in a text editor with syntax highlight set to powershell it's very easy to enable or disable a script line via a keyboard shortcut or button - I use synwrite and cudatext)

actually, you're right, there was a syntactic error.
    even more so there was a logic error as the ni (New-Item) with -Force clears existing values :(
    now fixed, plus hiding the intermediary console window popups, and defender notification