Windows To Go / Storage Spaces?

Discussion in 'Mobile and Portable' started by MrChris, Aug 10, 2015.

1. MrChris

MrChris MDL Addicted

Jun 23, 2007
    So I created a Storage Pool in Windows 10 Pro x64 (SSD) then rebooted into a Windows To Go installation of Windows 10 Pro x64 that is on a VHD on my USB drive and In Storage Spaces Manager while booted into the VHD/WTG it sees the Storage Pool but it doesnt see the disk/drive in Disk Manager allowing me to assign a drive letter to it. If I reboot into normal install of Win10 on my SSD it see it just fine. Do I need to import the pool/activate or something?

~MC

2. KNARZ

KNARZ MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2012
    I guess the magic word is "SanPolicy" with WtG research for that.

3. MrChris

MrChris MDL Addicted

Jun 23, 2007
    Thanks, that gave me something to work with. So it's a storage policy that by default disables internally connected disks. I al ready have to run a powershell command to put all drives online. It sounds like this one is done in diskpart. Good to know. Thanks again.

~MC

4. MrChris

MrChris MDL Addicted

Jun 23, 2007
    #6 MrChris, Aug 11, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
    (OP)
    OK I gave it a shot. No bueno. It apears as though SanPolicy only or mainly refers to DISKS and or Volumes that are seen by DISKMGR or DISKPART which in my case my Storage Spaces loigcal volume are not listed when I do DISKPART/LIST DISK or LIST VOLUME. Other disks that I put online using "powershell/set-disk 0 -isOffline $false". The weird thing is that the Storage Pool/Volumes show in Storage Spaces Manager. (See Attached Images). I just want to make sure that in the off chance that my nas OS drive takes a crap and none of my recent acronis images work that I can boot into something and access my 4TB Win10 created storage space/pool which happens to be formatted ReFS (which I would think should not make a difference). Storage Spaces see the pool so its there somewhere. All though I am not sure why DISKPART does not show DISK1 or DISK2?

Attached Files:

5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Last I was used WinToGo were in Windows 8 2 years ago and since I use WinToUSB only. In both of them (on Windows 8/8.1 and 10) I just open the Disk Management and give the internal drive a new Drive letter (same as the one used in run the desktop/laptop). That works for me and I've access to all internal drives of the computer I've the WinToUSB connected and run to. I never used an extra created Storage Pool!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. MrChris

MrChris MDL Addicted

Jun 23, 2007
    Sorry, I should add that I too used WinToUSB to create my WTG/VHD. I would think it should matter but...I have tested this on 3 different systems all with Storage Spaces and get the same behavior. Im sure I am missing something with all the crazy locking/tweaking that can and has been turned on by default to prevent data corruption ect..Anyone have a spare drive or 2 that they can test this out on? It will likely have the same behavior. :)

7. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    Last time I messed with 'Storage Spaces' I think I remember it saying something about the 'pool' being a Virtual Disk :confused:

If that's the case, did you use the 'vdisk' commands in Diskpart? That may make a difference :confused:

8. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    And what happen if you use Disk Management? As I did?!

That Storage Pool space will never really work for me is because I use the WinToUSB Drives for my work on many different computers! Most of those who using Storage Pool also having quite a bit of problems and as result, it's not allowed to use in my own company.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. MrChris

MrChris MDL Addicted

Jun 23, 2007
    What DISK or VOLUME would I select as neither are listed.

~MC

10. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Could yopu post an screenshot of the Disk Management screen after all drives are loded?

Thanks.