Windows Update and Blue Screen: Page Fault in Nonpaged Area

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Multivsys, Apr 18, 2022.

1. Multivsys

Multivsys MDL Novice

Jan 15, 2020
    Hello, I use Windows 10 Education and almost every time Windows restarts for an update, it will update for a while, restart, and give me a blue screen with the error:

Your device ran into a problem and needs to restart. We're just collecting some error info, and then we'll restart for you.
    Stop code: PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA

The computer will restart a few times before preparing an automatic repair. Windows will then state that it could not complete the updates and that it is undoing changes. Windows will attempt to give me the same problematic updates multiple times, which results in the same blue screens and system repair processes occurring until Windows decides to stop asking me about the updates.

Anyway, it looks like the recent update is different because Windows 10 will keep asking me to get the update regardless of how many times it has failed on my computer. I am referring to the feature update to Windows 10, version 21H2. I have already attempted this update more than thrice and Windows 10 will restart, work on updates to 30% complete, restart, and then give me the blue screen with PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA.

I would appreciate any help. I think that I was getting this error on my previous installation of Windows 10 Education, as well.

2. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008
    hello it could be a defective RAM.

3. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    You should fix your current windows ie fix any errors that are there, then update any suspicious or outdated drivers, then do a proper cleaning including a registry clean, then restart your computer.
    Once this is done and you are sure that your computer is free of more errors and that the settings are all good, try installing the updates after that.
    Based on the information you have provided, your computer is unclean and full of errors. It is not possible to judge the drivers, but if believe the title of your post (blue screen), there is something suspicious there as well.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    You haven't provided the key information: what is your current version?

Feature updates are forced after End-Of-Support, regardless of your device being compatible with it or not.
    There are graceful ways around it that I can share.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Multivsys

Multivsys MDL Novice

Jan 15, 2020
    About RAM, I have not replaced mine for years. I have 16.0 GB of installed memory. I do remember testing the RAM with MemTest86 and the software reported no problems.

Yes. I do believe that there are errors but it is difficult to determine them. What would be a great way of finding those errors and suspicious drivers? Which registry cleaning software and/or method(s) would you use?

That is pretty interesting. I had not thought that my device would be incompatible with those updates. I use Microsoft Windows Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.264) and I would certainly love to learn about those graceful ways that you mentioned.

6. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    2004 is End-Of-Support since December, for all editions (consumer + business).
    In your case, I would first try to upgrade to 21H2 with compatibility options set. A convenient way to do that would be to use MediaCreationTool.bat script, select 21H2, then Auto Upgrade.
    If that fails, it's most likely an incompatibility, and we can determine which one if you explore C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther (can zip the whole folder and then share it / attach it to your post)

7. Multivsys

Multivsys MDL Novice

Jan 15, 2020
    #7 Multivsys, Apr 19, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2022
    (OP)
    Thank you. I downloaded the MediaCreationTool.bat script, selected 21H2, and selected Auto Upgrade. Unfortunately, when the setup had completed and my computer had restarted, this once again resulted in the same blue screen with the identical stop code:
    Stop code: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Windows 10 then undid the changes made to my computer. After a few restarts, Windows 10 started up and gave me the prompt:
    We couldn't install Windows 10
    We've set your PC back to the way it was right before you started installing Windows 10.

0xC1900101 - 0x30018
    The installation failed in the FIRST_BOOT phase with an error during SYSPREP_SPECIALIZE operation

I have also compressed my Panther folder from C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther into a 7-Zip archive. How do I attach a file here? When I drag and drop my archive into this window, there is a prompt that states, "Uploads are not available." Because of this, I have uploaded the file to Gofile. Please let me know if there are any problems.

Edit: Deleted the Gofile link.

8. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
  9. Multivsys

Multivsys MDL Novice

Jan 15, 2020
    #9 Multivsys, Apr 19, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2022
    (OP)
    All right. I have done most of what you said with the exception of uninstalling the Intel overclocking stuff (What is that?) and Daemon Tools. I uninstalled ImDisk Toolkit. I used Disk Cleanup and selected everything in C:\. I deleted the C:\Windows.~BT folder. I moved the contents of Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, and Videos into newly created folders in C:\. I also cleared the recent files history. Next, when I tried to delete the key, HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options, I was able to delete almost every folder in Image File Execution Options except for MRT.exe and MsMpEng.exe. I get errors stating that I cannot delete those keys.

I then went into the MediaCreationTool.bat-main\MediaCreationTool.bat-main folder and renamed MediaCreationTool.bat to auto no-update 20H2 MediaCreationTool.bat. After a few minutes, I get this prompt:
    This tool can't update your PC
    The language or edition of the version of Windows currently installed on your PC isn't supported by this tool.

10. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    Is your system en-US language primarily, with zh_CN and ja-JP language features?
    If you can, try removing those extra language features.
    I must insist on removing daemon tools (you can always install it back if the upgrade succeeds).
    Reboot without fast startup (win+r: shutdown /r /t 5).
    Then use script renamed as: auto no-update 21H1 en-US Education MediaCreationTool.bat
    21H1 it's the most recent base build available without dynamic updates, 19043.1348, while the other added options are to preset the right language and edition in case it's not correctly detected

11. Multivsys

Multivsys MDL Novice

Jan 15, 2020
    I am still trying to make these changes and have not yet run the new script. I should also note that I use Open-Shell Menu. For some reason, I can no longer access Windows Firewall with Advanced Security. Whenever I try, I have to wait for around half a minute before getting an User Account Control prompt:
    This app has been blocked for your protection.
    An administrator has blocked you from running this app. For more information, contact the administrator.
    mmc.exe
    Publisher: Unknown
    File origin: Hard drive on this computer
    Program location: "C:\Windows\system32\mmc.exe" "C:\Windows\system32\WF.msc"

Did I break something? I have always been able to access the firewall before today. It also looks like the Disk Clean-up utility has been stuck on the Windows Update Cleanup step for a few hours already.

12. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    Don't wait for disk cleanup, just restart without fast startup [win] + [R]: shutdown /r /t 5
    Something was broken from the get-go obviously - else updates would not have failed
    Do try the previous steps

13. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    @Multivsys
    If you have not yet realized that your system is so damaged that there is nothing left to repair, then continue waste your time.
    But on one or another way you will end up it all with doing a new clean installation.
    The faster you do this, the faster you will get rid of your problems. And don't install programs on your computer that you don't need or that aren't compatible with installed OS version.
    It would also be time to use OS Build 19044.xxxx, for example, I currently have (see spoiler) and no problems (on 5 different ages and very different computers).
    Of course, if you want to try everything yourself, forget my recommendation. It is your choice.
    Capture_w10.JPG

14. Multivsys

Multivsys MDL Novice

Jan 15, 2020
  15. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    That's great. Might just be that now it won't fail anymore. The latest build is always the first choice. 21H2 atm.
    I would still go with the one you haven't tried yet, 21H1: auto no-update 21H1 en-US Education MediaCreationTool.bat

The amount of stuff you have installed might take forever to get back to with a clean install ;) but it sometimes becomes unavoidable. I don't think you're at that point just yet.

16. Multivsys

Multivsys MDL Novice

Jan 15, 2020
    Unfortunately, after running the new auto no-update 21H1 en-US Education MediaCreationTool.bat and letting it complete, I am still getting the same blue screen with stop code: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

This is followed by Windows once again undoing the changes made to my computer.

I also received the same Windows 10 prompt when it started up:
    0xC1900101 - 0x30018
    The installation failed in the FIRST_BOOT phase with an error during SYSPREP_SPECIALIZE operation

17. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    Tough luck! Guess it's time for that clean install. It's been a long time since you've done it ;)

18. Multivsys

Multivsys MDL Novice

Jan 15, 2020
    Thanks. Which thread should I look at? Can I stay with Windows 10 Education?

19. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    Sure, why not? It's a great edition. But you might want to check out LTSC 2021 in it's dedicated thread, get the iso (not sure direct links are always available, but there are reliable svf patches alternatives)

20. Multivsys

Multivsys MDL Novice

Jan 15, 2020
    I appreciate that. Should I follow the link to the Official 19044.1288 (IoT) Enterprise LTSC 2021 MVS Direct ISOs? I see an en-us_windows_10_enterprise_ltsc_2021_x64_dvd_d289cf96.iso, which I assume that I should download because I have a 64-bit operating system? But, it does look like those links are for Enterprise and not for Education?

Maybe most of my Windows Update problems resulted from my downloading and installing a bad version of Windows 10, at the start? I remember downloading the Windows 10 ISO from here too. I think that Windows Update was already failing many of its updates and undoing changes, days after I had initially installed Windows 10 Education. That really confused me.