Windows Update cannot autoresume?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by HelpMe, Apr 1, 2015.

1. HelpMe

HelpMe MDL Junior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    #1 HelpMe, Apr 1, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
    How is it that some apps support auto resuming a file if it loses connection, meanwhile, this is not a supported feature on Windows Update? Also is there anyway to disable the auto updates in Windows Updates for 10? Because of the auto update, it put me over my monthly cap and than in the end, the connection must have some how disconnected and i ended up losing the entire update since it is not able to resume it got messed up at like 93 trying to update to the newer os version%.

So yah, hopefully feature updates would allow us to enable/disable the auto update and at least display the file size of the content being downloaded like how i can check on the previous o.s versions and maybe support auto resume in the future!

2. steven4554

steven4554 MDL Expert

Jul 12, 2009
    #2 steven4554, Apr 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Reg tweak for WU for checking, but not to download or install any updates/drivers:-

Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update]
    "AUOptions"=dword:00000002

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. HelpMe

HelpMe MDL Junior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Thanks for the tip! Anyway to make it display the file size that needs to be downloaded?

4. steven4554

steven4554 MDL Expert

Jul 12, 2009
    I don't know, but you might find file sizes in the details section of WU.
    I hate the new UI at the present moment, hope MS changes it some we have more control over which updates and drivers we do or don't want installed.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. HelpMe

HelpMe MDL Junior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    I did not notice any section displaying the file sizes while i was in the windows update section and i totally agree, i dislike the lack of control compared previous versions of windows, hopefully they implement some of these changes in the final version, it is the little things that i notice that are missing and this is what will kill the users experience. Another thing i dislike from windows 8 and on is the extra clicks here and there required too do anything, that makes me prefer windows 7 over these newer versions, so far.

6. steven4554

steven4554 MDL Expert

Jul 12, 2009
    Well I've just downgraded (or should I say upgrade) to Windows 7, due to a massive bug in 10049. What I experienced was the desktop not responding to any of my commands, even task manager didn't work.

I tried to submit feedback to MS, but when I clicked on send feedback button, the app crashed:(