windows update causing dvd drive corruption

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by seniorgeek1969, Nov 21, 2010.

1. seniorgeek1969

seniorgeek1969 MDL Junior Member

Aug 4, 2010
    Hi all I was wondering if anyone else has had the dvd drive on a hp laptop suddenly stop working and become corrupted in the device manager? I reformatted and re-installed and the drive worked fine did a round of updates and then the same problem. After reinstalling turned off updates and no problems. This also happened with vista as well, Any ideas?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. seniorgeek1969

Aug 4, 2010
    #3 seniorgeek1969, Nov 21, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
    (OP)
    Actually the oddest thing is is when i try to do that it says the driver is incompatible with the drive. The drive is an optiarc but after the updates it changes it to optyarc and some gibberish in the device manager. Like I said the exact thing happens when the factory install of vista 64 bit did updates too,I'm stumped.

Btw what happened to Anemeros and chew7?

4. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    I would still say that the issue is something caused by a bad driver from windows update rather then a software update. If it is a software update as annoying this sounds, install one update at a time until you have the issue, then reinstall windows and block the update that causes the issue.

As for Anemeros and Chew7, it is hard to say but I know he is also hosting it on w i n 7 v i s t a . c o m. He has not been online lately so IDK for sure, if I hear anything though I will PM you on that.

5. seniorgeek1969

Aug 4, 2010
    Thanks I appreciate that That's what I plan on doing over thanksgiving weekend. btw I haven't allowed and driver updates from msoft just software ones when I find the offender I will post the culprit kb here, I did a quick google search and alot!!!!:eek: of people have tried new drives and/or junked their laptops because of this it's unfortunate that this needs to happen.

6. Reign_Of_Freedom

Reign_Of_Freedom MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2009
    I just made a thread showing how to remove unused drivers/devices - it might help :p

7. french5166

french5166 MDL Novice

Nov 5, 2010
    I had the same problem, with my asrock motherboard... after update lost optical drive. I went to the Invidia website and downloaded the latest drivers and it fixed it, just like that. I hope this helps.

French