Windows Update for Microsoft Silverlight (KB2164913)

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Duartexas, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Duartexas

Duartexas MDL Novice

May 27, 2010
    Hi:

I've been using the Remove WAT software on my windows 7 enterprise 64 bit and all has been working fine. I've been updating stuff without problems.

Today I got this update which seem to concern security issues and am not sure if is one of those hidden patches to set me back on non genuine again.

Before I download this can someone tell me if they have already downloaded this on a windows 7 running with Remove WAT help and if there was problems or not afterwards?

Thanks

2. SoLoR

SoLoR MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2008
    Yes silverlight updates are always dangerous to your activation status.... Never update silverlight!

/sarcasm

3. Duartexas

Duartexas MDL Novice

May 27, 2010
    Are you serious or are you joking?
    ASking this question because I read /sarcasm a the bottom of your post o_O

4. CRA2YHAVOK

CRA2YHAVOK MDL Senior Member

Oct 23, 2009
  5. SoLoR

SoLoR MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2008
    #5 SoLoR, Sep 3, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
    eeeh... even with /sarcasm tag people (you) dont get it :) figure it out why this post have so little number of replys even tho im sure 90% of people reading this forum knows answer to this question....

edit: oh well ill stop being a b* :) no silverlight update will NEVER influence your activation unless MS will seriously screw something up. And if this happens it will most likely also happen for all "legit" retail users... so ye must be screwup on a scale that maybe happens once every few years (like some old XP update that where giving blue screens to about 10% of users on boot).

6. Duartexas

Duartexas MDL Novice

May 27, 2010
    Oh thanks for the replies, I'm a noob when it come to windows updates.
    I donloaded the enterprize version from windows but I heard that Ultimate and Enterprize are the same or basically the same so I didn't feel that I needed to scrap my enterprize version and re install with ultimate.

I tried one time the loader but one day went bust, so that is why I went for the remove WAT and it has been great for a very long time now.

7. CRA2YHAVOK

CRA2YHAVOK MDL Senior Member

Oct 23, 2009
    No problem ;) & whatever works for ya, but BTW Daz's method has had a lot of updates recently that has improved compatibility a lot, so what didn't work for you then may work now but it's your call.

8. DARKOR04

DARKOR04 MDL Tester/Developer

Jul 5, 2010
    #8 DARKOR04, Sep 3, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
    Enterprise and Ultimate they are similar, but the truth is Enterprise its VL and Ultimate not, With Enterprise you have to activate it every 180 Days (6 Months) And Ultimate Activates Forever... thats the difference.... if I am mistaken correct me...;)

Activation Methods by W7 Edition:

Windows 7 Enterprise - Remove WAT / IR4 / KMS Emulator (ZWT Activator / W.O.A.T. / Other KMS Emulators)
    Windows 7 Ultimate - Bios Mod / DAZ Loader / Remove WAT / Chew 7 / W.O.A.T. (if Slic 2.1 is present on Bios) / IR4

9. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    I think I perhaps faced a different problem with the recent Silverlight update (from 4.0.50524 to 4.0.50826 on 31/1st). After updating, IE removed all my favourites. Thought of it not as a problem, till I tried to import them from a html file. Did not do this at all. This was never a problem before. I usually keep my bookmarks as a html file and import them in each browser for uniformity.

The solution was to roll back to my pre-update image, and hide the silverlight update. I think even a recent hotfix (which is supposed to prevent freezing in windows 7 and only available thru request) is also problematic.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. l2p2c2

l2p2c2 MDL Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Installed this hotfix also. No problem with favourites. They were stillt here...

11. mongen

mongen MDL Junior Member

Jun 14, 2009
    I am still running RemoveWAT here on this rig, and the Silverlight update worked fine with no issues (although I don't use IE - Opera here).

I want to get around to completely reinstalling Windows on this machine from scratch with DAZ sometime ( I just need to find two of three days with no work or family commitments). How well does DAZ work on custom-built PCs? DAZ worked fine on my custom-built HTPC with gigabyte mobo, but I just don't want to risk it for this rig yet when RemoveWAT is working fine. Perhaps around the New Year's holiday...

12. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Daz has always worked for me on my custom made PC, if by that you mean buying the hardware separately rather than all in a box as a branded PC. In fact, I would say, custom made PCs are perfect for Daz. No hidden stuff anywhere.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. SoLoR

SoLoR MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2008
    No sure why are you still discussing this silly question... its almost like asking "will updating adobe flash, remove my activation". Answer, yes it can happen if adobe flash installer does it on purpose.

14. l2p2c2

l2p2c2 MDL Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Works perfect on my custom build pc's, both 32bit and 64bit

15. Duartexas

Duartexas MDL Novice

May 27, 2010
    The loader I've tried before was not DAZ but something else which worked until an update screwed it up.

After that I was searching on the net and end up on this very site and read the topic about the remove WAT. So far so good, but I notice that people seem more prone to DAZ then to Remove WAT. I would say Remove WAT is better because it removes the all authentication stuff it's like having a door but without locker, but again I may be wrong.

16. Duartexas

Duartexas MDL Novice

May 27, 2010
    Another update today:

Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB915597 (Definition 1.89.901.0)
    Download size: 267 KB
    Update type: Important
    Install this update to revise the definition files used to detect spyware and other potentially unwanted software. Once you have installed this item, it cannot be removed.

Safe? :p

17. pkgacon

pkgacon MDL Novice

Aug 24, 2010
    thank.................................

18. pkgacon

pkgacon MDL Novice

Aug 24, 2010
    thank..............................