Windows Update from 1511 to 1607 or Clean Install?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by essential, Feb 10, 2017.

1. essential

essential MDL Novice

May 16, 2012
    [FONT=&amp]Our office bought 4 new computers ([/FONT]Lenovo[FONT=&amp]) with Windows 10 Pro, and they came with version 1511 installed.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]After installing updates on the first I realized that the update to 1607 was major and now there is a Windows.old folder.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Since these are new and not in use yet, I downloaded a copy of the "Win10_1607_English_x64.iso" which is the official Windows 10 Anniversary Update (x64) ISO (full install, not just update ... checksum verified).[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Are there any benefits to clean installing the Anniversary Update edition on each machine or should I just do the 1607 update via Windows Update?[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]I always assumed a clean install is better than a major update that could leave remnants, but maybe that's wrong with newer operating systems.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]If I should clean install, I assume I just need to turn each machine on, connect to the Internet, make sure Windows is active, then shut down, install the Win10_1607_English_x64.iso, select "i don't have a product key" then when I get back into Windows, it should activate again no problem correct?[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Thanks.[/FONT]

2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    #2 Enthousiast, Feb 10, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
    Most likely the systems are OEM activated, a new install wil take use of that. Also an upgrade will.

If there is more pre-installed software and you want to keep it, an upgrade is the way to go, if you don't need the pre-installed software you could do a clean install (first check you have all drivers available, just in case).

Upgrading can also be done by iso, just open it with explorer and run setup.exe from the root.

The windows.old folder can be deleted by disk cleanup/cleanup systemfiles.

3. essential

essential MDL Novice

May 16, 2012
    Thanks for the reply Enthousiast.

There is minimal bloatware, and the drivers are all on the Lenovo site.

I'm more curious if there are benefits to spending the time of doing a clean install, or is there basically no difference, better or worse, between updating vs. clean installing? With older versions of Windows, clean installing usually seemed like the way to go, not sure with Windows 10.

4. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    #4 Enthousiast, Feb 10, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
    Both options have their pro's and con's, like upgrading (and cleaning up after) takes more time but keeps files, etcetc... It's really up to what you want.