Windows Update hoses up the Boot Drive

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Palladin, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Palladin

Palladin MDL Senior Member

Feb 1, 2014
    Something very odd happened last night after I installed the latest versions of Windows Updates.

I'm running a legit Win-7 Pro 32-Bit and had have had zero problems with it. After last night's Windows Update and re-start the computer wouldn't boot. I got the "Repair" option, but that didn't work. I tried getting into safe mode but couldn't. Then I got the USB stick with the original Windows ISO on it, and tried to do a repair from there. Still nothing. No matter what I kept getting the error message that the system couldn't start because a device driver was missing. Of course windows doesn't tell you which device driver is missing, just that the one it needs to start is missing.

Fortunately I had made an Acronis Image on Sunday, so the only files I would be missing were just for a couple of days.

Then I booted off a Linux Mint 16 dvd and could access the drive no problems, and all the files were there and could be read. I copied off the files that changed, Mail, bookmarks, and some downloads to a backup drive, and restored the image, then restored the files, and everything's back to normal.

Here's what happened just prior to everything getting hosed, although I can't see how any of this would cause such major damage. Comcast eMail service went down for a couple of hours and I was going through a couple of monkey drills trying to get it working again. Reconfiguring Outlook, restoring files, that sort of stuff, and when I checked the forum I could see it wasn't just me, but it was a system outage of Comcast's eMail, so I just figured I'd wait it out. Sure enough it came back in an hour or so.

I also had installed Easeus File Unerase program for a test drive to see how it compared to Recuva. It did a very nice job, and I un-installed it. Easeus makes pretty good software, and I've never encountered any problems with any of it, so I can't see how running it on a USB stick would hose up the boot drive, but ya never know.

After I restored the image, and the changed files, Windows Update came up and said I had some updates. As far as I can remember these were the same ones that I installed last night that hosed up my system.

Here's the updates:
    http://forums.mydigitallife.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=31707&stc=1

I'll do some research into each one of them, and image the system before I install them one by one, and report back which one, if any was the problem.

If you haven't installed these updates, then it might be a good idea to make an image of your working drive before you do, to avoid the problems I had.

Attached Files:

2. Palladin

Feb 1, 2014
    #2 Palladin, Oct 16, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
    (OP)

Attached Files:

3. zahnoo

zahnoo MDL Senior Member

Feb 2, 2011
    On all but one of my local machines, KB2949927 is deselected by default but still listed as an important update. Remembering the August fiasco (I think August), I hide that update. It turns out there are numerous reports of KB2949927 causing problems and it's somehow related to BitLocker. Sometimes it fails to install, other times it installs and causes a no boot situation.

Apparently, if the update is deselected by default your machine doesn't need it. And since I don't use BitLocker I guess I just don't need it. I just wish Microsoft wouldn't offer what I don't need.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
  5. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    It's 100MB partition not 100GB :D

KB2949927 is the biggest non .NET update i have seen in Windows 7, and i expected that it will cause errors :rolleyes:
    it updates a lot of components including Boot environment files, OS kernel, System Restore, Audio Core, Dism Providers, DirectShow, Media Player Core and other media components
    in addition to the published component: SHA-2 hashing algorithm support

for me, the update installed just fine, but it took two reboots to complete the install

6. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller MDL Spinning Tortoise

Dec 21, 2012
    Confirmed: Two reboots on all my machines.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    I think a lot of the people that are having problems have a modified boot setup that is not being left intact.
    Perhaps the first reboot sets the boot files, and the 2nd one uses them to install the rest of the files.

8. Palladin

Feb 1, 2014
    The only A/V program I have is the stock Security Essentials.

I'll image the drive this afternoon, and then run the update, and see if it hoses up the system again. The only problem is that I can't get into windows at all, so how would I make the partition active. Can it be done in Acronis. I know there's an option to do that when you restore an image, but I'm not sure if it can be done without restoring something. I'll see if I can find out more on that. Or maybe Linux Mint can mark the partition active? I'm clueless as to how if it can.

9. Palladin

Feb 1, 2014
    #9 Palladin, Oct 16, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
    (OP)
    Oops, sorry about that. :eek:
    Fixed in the OP.
    Thanks for catching it.

10. Wrel

Wrel MDL Novice

Mar 30, 2010
    Solution from technet:
    From the Recovery Console command prompt: "dism.exe /image:C:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions"
    worked for me:)

11. WinDev

WinDev MDL Expert

Jul 6, 2013
    Is it really safe to install this update? I am scaring of this update because I don't want to mess up my system. :mad:

12. Palladin

Feb 1, 2014
    Just be sure that you have a complete image backup before you install it. Maybe it will go OK, maybe not.

Here's what I discovered this afternoon. I imaged the working drive, and then installed the KB2949927 update that I had hidden. sure enough when the system restarted I got the message that the "Boot Device was inaccessible", just as it was the first time around. Pics posted earlier in the thread.

I restarted and went into Safe Mode and tried every option, and every time I restarted I got the same message "Boot Device was inaccessible" so I couldn't even get to a command prompt to run Diskpart to see if the partition was active.

Then I booted off the Acronis DVD and looked around for an option to view the partition information. I couldn't find anything but a hex viewer that I could look at the boot partition of the C: drive, but I didn't know where the active/boot info was located. So that turned out to be a bust. The version I have is Acronis True Image Home 2013. Maybe later versions, or other programs might have a way to see whether the partition is active, or some way to repair it.

Then I booted off a Linux Mint disk and ran Gparted. It did show that the C: was the boot drive in the information screen, and none of the other partitions showed the boot status. I poked around with Gparted and discovered lots of information, but nothing that would help with my problem. Granted I don't really know my way around Gparted, so it's entirely possible that I missed something.

I restored the image without the KB2949927 update and everything works as it should.

I can't believe I'm the only one having this problem, and it's not a trivial problem either. If you didn't have a current image you would be in big trouble trying to get your files off, and then somehow re-initialize the boot partition. Or worse, having to install Windows 7 from scratch with the 100+ updates.

Fortunately for me, I decided instead of doing a monthly image like I usually do, I decided to clone my working drive to an external USB drive, since I was going over to do some work on a friends computer, and I wanted to have all my current files. If it wasn't for that stroke of luck, I would have had to go back to my monthly backup (9/28/14) and then copy off all the files that had changed, on the crippled drive, and restore the monthly image, and copy all the files back. It would have been a major PITA, let me tell you. As it was, it was just a PITA.

My advice with this update. Proceed with caution.

Let us know what happens.

Good luck.

13. Mutagen

Mutagen MDL Addicted

Feb 18, 2013
    No problem here with KB2949927 (or any Windows 7 x64 update) on three drives.

14. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    The update is not available now (WU, Download Center, Catalog)

15. Palladin

Feb 1, 2014
    #15 Palladin, Oct 18, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
    (OP)

Attached Files:

16. WinDev

WinDev MDL Expert

Jul 6, 2013