Windows Update (KB3081704) - Error 0x80070643

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by PeterGriffin89, Aug 1, 2015.

1. PeterGriffin89

PeterGriffin89 MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2015
    Greetings!!!

I've upgrade my OS from W7 Ultimate (x64) to Windows 10 Pro (x64).

Everything works good on my PC (except Cortana, that the first day opened my apps, for example Spotify ... and now doesn't open ... she says constantly "what app do you want to open?" but ... ), except Windows Update.

When I try to update, give me always the same error:

" Update for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems (KB3081704) - Error 0x80070643"

I get this update when I go to update windows 10 via windows update but I can't install ... so I can't update the OS.

What can I do to solve it? Any option?

Thanks for your help!

2. Fernando 1

Fernando 1 MDL Senior Member

Jul 26, 2011
    #2 Fernando 1, Aug 18, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
    I am not able to get any Windows Update installed (not even for the Windows Defender). I always get the 0x80070643 error message.
    By the way: The Windows Firewall is enabled.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    Remember the old reset of update.

1. Press Windows Key + X on the keyboard and then select “Command Prompt (Admin)” from the menu.
    2. Stop the BITS, Cryptographic, MSI Installer and the Windows Update Services. To do this, type the following commands at a command prompt. Press the “ENTER” key after you type each command.
    net stop wuauserv
    net stop cryptSvc
    net stop bits
    net stop msiserver
    3. Now rename the SoftwareDistribution and Catroot2 folder. You can do this by typing the following commands in the Command Prompt. Press the “ENTER” key after you type each command.
    ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
    ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old
    4. Now, let’s restart the BITS, Cryptographic, MSI Installer and the Windows Update Services. Type the following commands in the Command Prompt for this. Press the ENTER key after you type each command.
    net start wuauserv
    net start cryptSvc
    net start bits
    net start msiserver
    5. Type Exit in the Command Prompt to close it.

Now you may try running the Windows Updates and check if the above steps resolve the issue.

Seems to be the first thing to try when you get error of install update.

4. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    Dieter, how are you, hope all is well. I have to go do some work but wanted to say hi.

5. Fernando 1

Jul 26, 2011
    Hello Odie, thanks, I am fine, but my Win10 Update Service doesn't work.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Fernando 1

Jul 26, 2011
  7. Fernando 1

Jul 26, 2011
    Meanwhile I was able to solve my problem to get the Defender Virus Definitions updated.
    Solution: I ran the update from within the Windows Defender app.