Windows Update KB890830

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Duartexas, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Duartexas

Duartexas MDL Novice

May 27, 2010
    A new update hit today with the following description:

Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool x64 - September 2010 (KB890830)

Download size: 3.0 MB

You may need to restart your computer for this update to take effect.

Update type: Important

After the download, this tool runs one time to check your computer for infection by specific, prevalent malicious software (including Blaster, Sasser, and Mydoom) and helps remove any infection that is found. If an infection is found, the tool will display a status report the next time that you start your computer. A new version of the tool will be offered every month. If you want to manually run the tool on your computer, you can download a copy from the Microsoft Download Center, or you can run an online version from microsoft.com. This tool is not a replacement for an antivirus product. To help protect your computer, you should use an antivirus product.

Could this update interfer with RemoveWAT somehow?

2. SCBrigth

SCBrigth MDL Senior Member

May 9, 2009
    The Malicious Software Removal Tool is designed to capture some viruses, anyway (if want to feel more safe) you can de-select it and hide to not install. Who knows... :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Duartexas

Duartexas MDL Novice

May 27, 2010
    Well I thought about it because I have a nice anti malware tool which checks for stuff that normally the antivirus let it pass, and it does detects a file I have saved of RemoveWAT.exe as an infection in "high risk" level, so I'm concerned that this microsoft update tool maybe remove it which it wouldn't be a good thing for me :p

So I will leave it on hold until I get more information about. If anyone can test this update on a spare machine and post the results versus RemoveWAT that would be greatly appreciated.

4. jlgager

jlgager MDL Developer

Oct 30, 2009
    They come out with a new version like every month and it hasn't been a problem before. But I guess if Microsoft wanted to they could include a patch in there but i severely doubt it.

5. Duartexas

Duartexas MDL Novice

May 27, 2010
    I didn't notice this kind of update had been around before seems to me to be the first time on my windows 7. Are you referring to previous windows versions?

6. titian

titian MDL Junior Member

Sep 22, 2009
    It usually appears on patch tuesday and seems to be harmless so far.
    I wouldn't worry about it.

7. Duartexas

Duartexas MDL Novice

May 27, 2010
    Alright I have downloaded and installed and all good so I guess no worries...

Is there a thread in this forum where we can check which updates safe to install and which maybe not? Would be good instead of creating a new post everytime one is not sure. I tried to find but no luck.

8. harvey rabbit

harvey rabbit MDL Novice

Feb 7, 2010
    ://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/10233-Microsoft-Windows-7-Updates-Compatibility-Center

Doesn't yet include the updates from this week.