Windows Update Question

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Poink, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Poink

Poink MDL Novice

Jul 2, 2015
    Hi, I installed Windows 7 Ultimate x64 years ago using old time loader version (forgot ver number, 1.9ish I think??), I even forgot whether I activated it online or not <.<. It works fine so far (Never updated though <.<)

Now I need to install SP1 for something, is it ok to update it from Windows Update Service ?? or will it wreck my windows. (I try to avoid re-installing windows as much as possible, because of data etc).

If it isn't ok, what should I do to obtain SP1 ??

Should I "re-activate" my Win 7 using the newest loader (2.2.2) from this forum ??

Any updates that I should avoid ?? (Like which KBxxxxxx)

Many thanks, and I'm sorry if this question is a newbie and/or annoying question.

2. Stewox

Stewox MDL Junior Member

Nov 22, 2013
    I've learned not to even install windows when it comes out, then update a few key updates here and there, and then put a SP on top of all that.

I'm not sure how much can this comment help, but I usually wait 2+ years or more when moving to a new OS, I skipped Vista completely, and with Win7 I first did a preliminary install to test stuff out and make tweaks before going full blown serious install on the main PC.

And with all the skills, I have big plans for Win10 if it proves (DX12 is a big deal) since it looks like it's going to have to be the next one, but only if I manage to do something, like completely changing the GUI and behavior to Win7.

By the time that's finished Win10 might already get 2 service packs so ... nothing is set in stone yet but DX12 is going to be huge for gaming and others might benefit from this kind of win10 i have in mind.

3. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    #3 Mr.X, Jul 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
    Patching an old installation might cause big issues, not always but sometimes, I speak my own experience.
    If your installation is actually working fine and you don't really need to install a huge bunch of updates then don't.
    But if you forcibly need to, then I suggest a re-format and clean install with an updated iso.
    Late updates has cause in one old computer of mine to slow down a lot and other issues. So now you know its your call.
    Of course, exists the possibility your old installation won't suffer any deterioration, so you may try as well, but who knows.

4. Poink

Poink MDL Novice

Jul 2, 2015
    Well, kinda need SP1 for some programs. And security updates would be nice too.
    I try to avoid reformat since there's tons of data and programs in the OS drive (Yeah, stupid I know, was a moron). And due to fire I lost most of the keys for the programs.

By updated ISO did you mean a one with SP1 ???

The PC itself is a i7 870 @2.93Ghz, with 8GB RAM, and GTX660

As of now if I check my Windows Updater Service it says :
    4 Important Update
    -Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB954430)
    -Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB973688)
    -Update Rollup for ActiveX Killbits (KB2562937)
    -Windows 7 Service Pack 1 for x64-based system (KB976932)

17 Windows Optional Updates
    -NVidia Graphic Adapter
    -Update for Rights Management Services Client
    -15 Update for Windows 7 x64-based system

34 Language Packs

5. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Well I already said you have two alternatives:
    1. Patch your system and see what happens
    2. Re-format and clean install (long and time consuming, kind of painful :D) and yes I mean to grab an iso file with SP1.

Try the first one and see what happens, ok? Your system is powerful so maybe and with bit of luck you won't see any deterioration in performance or issues...

6. Poink

Poink MDL Novice

Jul 2, 2015
    Ok, gonna try option 1. Will make a bootable installation flash disk first just in case >.>

Is the ISO from this thread ok to use ?
    forums .mydigitallife .info/threads/
    60681-Windows-7-SP1-Media-Refresh-Torrent-Download-Links

(used spaces to separate link because my post count is under 20 >.<)

7. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Yes it's ok

8. Poink

Poink MDL Novice

Jul 2, 2015
    Wow, that's a seriously fast reply, you're not an Ultra Advanced AI that lives in this forum, are you ? XD

Thanks for the replies and advices. Gonna try after I finish downloading and making an installation flash disk. :)

9. Smith John

Smith John MDL Novice

Jun 29, 2015
    Thanks i found my solution.