Windows Update to force Windows 10 ads

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by tricky_1, Apr 13, 2015.

1. tricky_1

tricky_1 MDL Novice

Apr 10, 2014
    Hi, I`ve just read an article regarding Windows update KB3035583 which states ....."Installing the update – which is marked as "Recommended" – on a machine running Windows 8.1 leads to the creation of four new folders in the Windows\WinSxS folder, prefixed "amd64_microsoft_windows_gwx". The description of one of the files installed – GWXUXWorker.exe – is "Get Windows 10".

Another file of interest is config.xml. This has sections for various phases, starting at <Phase name="None"> and continuing through AnticipationUX, Reservation, Reserved, RTM, GA, various Upgrade phases, and, finally, UpgradeSetupFailed.
    There is also a reference to an OnlineAdUrl, presumably a page hyping the benefits of Windows 10, though this is currently a dead link. The update appears to be intended to advertise Windows 10 and push the user towards consenting to download and install it.

However, this raises questions over user consent to receive the update in the first place. The update is classified as "Recommended", which means that users may receive it automatically, depending on their Windows Update settings. This is the middle classification, between Important (which includes material such as security patches) and Optional (never installed automatically).

I`m not sure if this has been mentioned already , i just wanted to "put it out there" to let people know .

2. ELGriego

ELGriego MDL Novice

Mar 20, 2015
    Hello Tricky
    This update was also applied to Win7 I guess MSN when they finally release Win 10 this could be an option to eventually upgrade.

Thank u for the heads up!!!

3. tricky_1

tricky_1 MDL Novice

Apr 10, 2014
    Hi EL Griego,
    I also noticed it applies to Windows 7 too, and it does seem rather sneaky of MS to try and get this update installed on peoples PC`s especially as many people have their computers set to download and install updates automatically.

P.s There is also another update KB2952664 which was released in March 2015 which also ...Quote "makes improvements to the current operating system in order to ease the upgrade to the latest version of Windows"

MS really are going all out to push Windows 10 on people whether they like it or not.

4. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008
    Most of these kb are not classified as "important" then you have the choice to install them or not.
    So I think people who have installed them will have the choice to install W10, it is not mandatory. :)

5. tricky_1

tricky_1 MDL Novice

Apr 10, 2014
    You`re right in what you say coleoptere2007 , but, i`m sure that many people have friends and family that have Auto update enabled and therefore may unknowingly install the said updates.
    I`ve also found a few more things about these updates such as ....

KB3035583, Windows 10 nagware patch now marked as "important" on some PC`s and installs by default through Automatic Update .... eSet calls it an AdWare PUP for Win 10

also..... someone who installed the updates states "the Win10 upgrade prep that was recently installed, my firewall warned me something new was calling home but that it was allowed. Which means that it was something which could manipulate the firewall rules. So I've set it to block (it is identified as "GWX Config Manager")".

and someone else says the same also......"i found that a couple of GWX objects had been installed via that second update and "auto-ok'ed" themselves through my firewall. "

Strange indeed .