Windows update - Whats the status and what to avoid? Some questions

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Dimsum, Dec 5, 2009.

1. Dimsum

Dimsum MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    So i just want to clear up a few things having read certain threads:

1. Even if we are using a loader - can we update?

2. People are saying that MS is stopping some loaders (even though it doesn't/and cant stop the SLP keys.) Which loaders are affected by this?

3. Which particular updates are the ones that are blocking loaders, and therefore should be avoided?

4. Using VOATKTools, a loader can be removed (so returning the system to a 30 day trial) - can we then get all updates and after they have been installed, pacth the system again with a new loader and be okay?

I installed 7 Ultimate a few months back for a friend and used Hazars loader (the version current at the time). They are getting some problems and since their Anti virus is Microsoft Security Essentials, it would be better if they can do some updates that might help fix problems since they arent technically minded. I'd rather keep windows updates on 24/7 just for peace of mind. So I am just wondering if there are particular updates to ignore and allow the rest?

2. gentoo

gentoo MDL Senior Member

Oct 6, 2009
    #2 gentoo, Dec 5, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
    1. Yes you can update if you have loader but more than likely all loaders will be disabled at some point in time.

2. Some have stated that WOW has been blocked. Not sure of the others.

3. Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool and service packs will remove a loader and possibly MSE.

4. Not if the loader is marked for bieng disabled via one of the updates.

Is a Bios mod an option for your PC?

3. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    AFAIK WOW and all the other loaders are still working, it was ORBIT30 loader that was blocked at a few machines. There are also rumours that WAT (the new WGA tool) was on at a few machines to disable the loader. No confirmation so far...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. gentoo

gentoo MDL Senior Member

Oct 6, 2009
    @Yen

Thanks for the correction.

5. whitehat2009

whitehat2009 MDL Member

Aug 1, 2009
    BIOS mod for the win! I barely put any thought into Windows Update, or even the fact that this computer is modded.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Hazar

Hazar MDL Guru

Jul 29, 2009
    The chinese grldr then.

7. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    I think everyone will know if a loader is disabled -

Firstly I think M$ will announce it, and

Secondly - this forum will light up like a Christmas tree with panicky posts (Sorry about the PABX reference)

8. rickeo

rickeo MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    Done about 30 installs now all with the loaders and every single WU works fine. Not sure what people are getting worried about.

9. natsirt

natsirt MDL Novice

Nov 27, 2009
    If i just added a certificate and a key, is it safe to update ALL, including Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool? or Should i just avoid Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool?

10. Hackeur

Hackeur MDL Senior Member

Jun 14, 2009
    some preventative security suggestions:

always install on a separate hard drive that can be fully formatted when loaders are forcefully unloaded.

keep all your personal files, music, videos, mail boxes and anything of value on a separate hard drive.

always have a copy of Hiren's boot cd or similar with all your installs and drivers on a DVD back up.

learn from your motherboard handbook or website how to back up and restore your BIOS to a previous state or factory default.

:cool:

11. KotaXor

KotaXor MDL Senior Member

Aug 3, 2009
    So far so good...using Daz loader on a pc and run all the Windows Update without problems.. don't know about later though.:eek: