Windows Update

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by tdom1234, Sep 11, 2009.

1. tdom1234

tdom1234 MDL Novice

Sep 10, 2009
    I'm currently happy with my brand new windows 7! But i have a bit of a problem, i just currently installed it today and it says its activated, is it safe to turn windows update on? Will it deactivate or something?

2. alexcd2k3

alexcd2k3 MDL Novice

May 27, 2007
    ....deactivate ;)

3. tdom1234

tdom1234 MDL Novice

Sep 10, 2009
    so it will deactivate my windows if i update?

4. twiz

twiz MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    It depends on how you've activated...

If you've used a BIOS mod and OEM key, you're most likely to be safe.
    If you've used the Lonovo OEM it's -POSSIBLE- that Microsoft will blacklist the key and an update can de-activate you.
    If you've used a loader, it's again possible that Microsoft will release a patch to detect and de-activate those activated using the loader, but unlikely since they still haven't done anything to Vista.

The thing is, using the SLIC, Cert and OEM keys is a legit way to activate... so Microsoft doesn't have much in the way of options.

5. Eazy Ace

Eazy Ace MDL Junior Member

Aug 11, 2009
    I think you can turn it on. I got Windows Update enabled too!

6. FuzzyMaster

FuzzyMaster MDL Member

Jun 21, 2007
    No....I beg you.....please don't turn it on.....it will cause a solar flare that will destroy the earth on Dec. 21, 2012.

OMG, DO NOT TURN IT ON!

7. PrEzi

PrEzi MDL Addicted

Aug 23, 2007
    LoL - GOOD One ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Bluescreen

Bluescreen MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Wrong ! The date is ..... Oct. 22, 2009 :D:D:D:D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. HotCarl

HotCarl MDL Addicted

Jul 21, 2009
    #10 HotCarl, Sep 11, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
    ...sounds to me like tdom1234 installed one of the "pre-activated" versions. It is at your discretion whether or not you want to use windows update. It is *probably* safe at the moment, just know that if you use windows update in the future and microsoft is able to disable the loader your version of windows came with pre-installed, you might have a hard time getting another loader to work as the methods that were used to "pre-activate" your windows may interfere with newer loaders you install. (I have seen a few people having hard times getting Win7 activated when the "pre-activation" did not work, so they had to re-download Win7 and get a legit MS version and install that just so they could activate...).
    IMHO people are best to stay away from the "pre-activated" versions that have been released (and should install their own choice of loader) unless they are willing to reinstall windows when things go awry, or unless they know what files have been modified so that the "pre-activation" can be undone and a new loader can be applied...it seems as though there are usually never any uninstall tools for the "pre-activated" versions to remove the activation, which can make things like installing another loader ('cuz the "pre-activation" does not work) troublesome and a pain in the ass.

10. RCOO

RCOO MDL Senior Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Ok ok... This is annying me. FFS, just use the damn loader and turn Windows Update on!
    If Microsoft blocks loaders (magically) you can always remove them and access the 4 rearms which are more then enough for a new Hazard Loader 10.xx come out or for you to make a bios mod.
    Geez

11. Bax!

Bax! MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    :D lol :D

12. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    Personaly I am waiting until after WGA is released and I never run automatic updates. I pick and choose the updates I want to install.

If you are behind a firewall and use Mozilla or another browser you are protected from allot of Microsoft's vulnerabilities.

13. devil

devil MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2009
    you should turn on windows updates nothing will not happen to you as our lage community is present here to make it activate again and i am still waiting microsoft deactivate my PERSONAL windows 7 ultimate
    :pbut microsoft is our friend they will never do so as before;)

14. jasper100

jasper100 MDL Novice

Jul 28, 2009
    i hope it was true