Windows Validation Tool (and Active-X Control) Does Nothing Anymore

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by bmnBob, Mar 3, 2011.

1. bmnBob

bmnBob MDL Novice

Dec 9, 2010
    Hi,

In the past, when I tried to download something from Microsoft Downloads that would require validation, I could either use the Active-X plugin for IE, or use the validation tool for Chrome or FireFox (I think they eventually created a plugin for FireFox to forgo the validation tool). If I used the validation tool, it would analyse my system and spit out a code that I would enter on the page and proceed to the download.

However starting fairly recently (about a month or so), the validation tool gives a code as before, but entering it on the page does not bring me to the download page, instead it thanks me for participating in the Windows Validation Program and redirects me to the WGA site to install additional junk.

I tried using IE instead, but that does nothing (it just adds ### to the URL); it does not even attempt to install an Active-X control anymore.

What’s going on? Do you have to install WGA, WAT, or something in order to get validation-required downloads now?

2. bmnBob

bmnBob MDL Novice

Dec 9, 2010
    Never mind, somehow it’s working again (at least using the validation tool; in IE it still does nothing but add ‘###’ to the URL). :confused: