Windows Vista: a dead os?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Antigen, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Antigen

Antigen MDL Junior Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Hi to all!

What do you think about Windows Vista?

Now that Windows 7 is at one year of life... Windows Vista is a Dead OS?

There is some sense in using it?

bye!

2. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    No sense in using it if you can get a free or cheap version of windows 7.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Antigen

Sep 12, 2009
    A free version of Windows 7 don't exist... and cheap is a mirage.

4. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Look around & re-think this statement

And yes, Vista is dead (the sooner the better)

sebus

5. killercat

killercat MDL Member

May 28, 2010
    vista is dead actually :p but there are still many users who haven't upgraded to 7.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. guyz92

guyz92 MDL Novice

May 1, 2009
    Windows Vista Wasn't really dead.

gs.statcounter.com/#os-ww-monthly-201007-201007-bar

Base on this survey, Windows Vista still have place in the market.

7. Matrix Leader

Matrix Leader MDL Addicted

Dec 8, 2009
    It surprises me that many people are still using Vista and haven't even tried 7 yet. I know alot of people who haven't even touched 7.......but believe me..once they do....theyll dump their POS OS Vista right away!

Vista was Microsoft's biggest mistake and they're only supporting it coz they have sold many copies.....

I have never personally seen any organization using Vista.......All of them are XP and my organization for example quickly jumped to the Windows 7 Bandwagon thank god :)

8. Computer Fixer

Computer Fixer MDL Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Unfortunately, Vista will be around for quite a few more years...simply because it was the OEM OS for brand name laptops and desktops for quite a few years. It exists on OEM restore DVD's and restore partitions in millions of hard drives

When I get a Vista laptop in with a bad hard drive I give the owner a choice- replace the hard drive and reinstall their OEM Vista for maybe $150 total parts and labor or replace the hard drive and install Win7 for $250 parts and labor... not one has chosen Win7 yet.
    Vista has been bought, paid for and works ( I usually disable Windows Search and Superfetch services and turn off auto disk defrag to keep hard drive thrashing to a minimum) sufficiently well in most cases. The $$ is still very important to many users... so I think we'll see Vista till the OEM hardware dies.

9. Original

Original MDL Novice

Nov 24, 2009
    No, not dead. Windows Vista SP2 has the same core 7 and is more stable and robust with age and use. 4 years ago I have it installed and have not yet had to reinstall my Fujitsu Sprimo

Windows 7 is marketing

10. geeza23

geeza23 MDL Novice

Oct 15, 2010
    hmm i think the public perception of it being dead is due to marketing although i have to say i'm more impressed with 7 than vista from a first time experience

11. gamepoint

gamepoint MDL Senior Member

Jan 4, 2010
    vista is very slow like a snail....i bought my laptop preinstalled with vista and i regret it till now.It is better for me to buy a laptop with no OS and install windows 7 or ubuntu

12. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Vista was born dead. The voting for which version number shall become gold was a mess...the OEM's could not agree with.......and a slight majority stopped that....M$ was under pressure to release it...time is money...
    M$ knew that time already that Vista will be a crap...no support of OEMs, no drivers, no 64 bit support. Nice cover, rotten core (kernel)...lack of speed..nobody that is really clever switched over from XP to Vista......

Vista is just an OS nobody needs.....BUT without Vista, W7 wouldn't be that great!

I guess you need a dot zero kernel OS being pathfinder for the successive OS....W7

:ball2: W8 will be dot zero-->crap! w9-->rulez...:D

13. gamepoint

gamepoint MDL Senior Member

Jan 4, 2010

how is that even possible? HAHAHAH:roflmao:

14. Antigen

Sep 12, 2009
    With my laptop and my desktop I have a licence of Windows Vista.

Now are two years that I use them... but I'm very frustrated from VISTA!!!!

How I can solve?

Use Windows XP if I can found an old licence of this OS?

Buy two licence of Windows 7 Upgrade? Only 300 $$$$$$$$ DAMN!

15. kdo2milger

kdo2milger MDL Senior Member

Jan 5, 2010
    you have 49 posts and have been a registered user since sep 2009

surely you can research the site well enough by now to answer your own question and save yourself from that horrible excuse of an OS

it may help you to look at my sig and use those as references for your quest to join the windows 7 community

16. souravipc53

souravipc53 MDL Novice

Feb 24, 2010
    I dont think Vista was a failure after all. The kernel used in Vista is more or less same in Windows 7(Though Microsoft claims it is a whole new kernel, but they are lying) The 'thing' that made Vista a crap was its excessive ornamental software which have been removed in 7. and a little tweaking has made the kernel a perfect solution. if vista hadnt been in the market , 7's users would meet the same fate vista's users have met. No support for 7 would been around the market. and about the seamless integration of 7 and virtual XP is not new, VMware Workstation is doing the job for years. DX11 is also available in Vista, so dont you think both of 7 & vista's kernel is same?
    Actually Changing the task bar, adding theme is not a tough work, one can remember benjamin's black vista which was highly modified and offered a lot better experience than the ordinary one.
    So one cant say that vista is a dead OS, after all the spirit in Windows 7 is vista.

17. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    In my experience Vista was a horrible OS but post-SP2, its quite OK. Its somewhat heavy on resources, my solution was to make a lite version with vlite and that worked quite well for me. Of course, now that win7 is there, there seems no earthly need to continue with vista.

18. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I agree with that the kernel of Vista is not much different than the kernel of W7. This fact is responsible for the success of W7. If M$ would have written a complete new kernel, all the path finding of Vista would have been for nothing.
    Vista gained time for the OEMs to develop drivers.

19. Legendaryone

Legendaryone MDL Novice

Mar 11, 2010
    vista is dead and let it stay dead

20. DigitalJammer

DigitalJammer MDL Member

Oct 5, 2010
    I disliked Vista as much as any tech I know. But I have seen the market share figures, and based on such information Windows 7 out-sold ALL of the copies of Vista in a period of like a few weeks- Not to forget WinXp will be around for maybe another ten years as long as people can run the programs they want to on it. For me I see Vista as I do "WinME"- But "WinME" SHOULD of been a FREE UPDATE to 98, where Vista never sold enough to even come close to the sales of Windows 7 right now. The only Vista users I know are ones that got it OEM on their computers they bought at Walmart, Best Buy etc... And I already had my share of pissed customers that wanted me to downgrade them from Vista to WinXP but I could not do it because I could not locate a Bios that would allow WinXp to run, it had to be Vista as the bios said. (updated bios of course allow win7 to be installed). Now word of Windows 7 seems to just be starting to spread in this area of proud red neck XP users. Many would like to upgrade, but too many people are strapped for cash.