Windows Vista device manager not showing

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Tulip, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Tulip

Tulip MDL Novice

Aug 22, 2012
    Hi

I have a strange problem when I right click on Computer and go to properties the system screen doesn't come up. If I go to it through control panel when I try and click on any link to open "device manager" or "system protection" it says "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the correct permissions to access" or something, it doesn't bring up the Administrator continue dialog box like it used to. Its a clean install, I think it started after I Installed all the updates post sp2. I have run sfc /scannow and it was fine. I can still get to the various screens by typing devmgmt.msc etc, but nothing on the system screen works, not even the windows experience index. Its just bugging me why it won't work anymore. I am using an administrator account. Also tried disabling AVG anti virus.

2. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Install 7 or 8.x or 10 and forget s**tsta

3. Espionage724

Espionage724 MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2009
    ...that isn't a solution. That's avoiding the issue or a workaround.

4. Tulip

Tulip MDL Novice

Aug 22, 2012
    Its odd that it doesn't do it with SP1, SP2, IE9 installed, but after updating with the rest it started doing it. Its also started showing a small dialog box with rundll32.dll at startup, saying Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file etc. These files are still on the computer however, its like it can't find them even though they are there.

5. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    No it's not, it's the perfect solution, there is absolutely no reason to be running Vista over 7

6. Tulip

Tulip MDL Novice

Aug 22, 2012
    Computer isn't mine, belongs to charity, they had Vista on there so keeping it on there, I expect it will be retired soonish though, just annoying little problem. Though is possible to get to the screens I need to get to as the "links" from control panel still work, just the links/settings from the system screen (one that tells you your processor, amount of ram etc) A few options in user profiles don't work either but don't think they are vital settings.

i59.tinypic.com/wjj4ub.jpg

I can get to this screen by going through control panel but right clicking on properties on Computer does nothing, it then gives that error when clicking on the settings on the left hand side, it gives no error and does nothing when clicking on Windows Experience Index. Its not that important though, there hasn't been any more rundll32.exe dialog boxes (like the one on the screen) come up when starting the computer.

I thought it odd that it shows two \\ in the dialog box path to devmgmt.msc

Attached Files:

7. Tulip

Tulip MDL Novice

Aug 22, 2012
    I sort of fixed it/avoided it. I noticed that the drivers nor windows updates were causing it, so I reinstalled again and didn't do a few things like defrag, run disk cleanup or use a .reg file to put a link to internet explorer on the desktop (which I have used lots of times before with no problem)

howtogeek.com/forum/topic/how-to-add-internet-explorer-icon-back-to-the-desktop-in-windows-7
    (path to IE adjusted for 64bit systems)