The Windows Vista Update Repository (Drivers, Software, Hotfixes, etc.)

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Chuterix, Sep 24, 2022.

?

Should this thread be kept? (You can only vote once so be careful)

Poll closed Jan 5, 2023.
  1. Yes

94.1%
  2. No

5.9%
  1. Chuterix

Chuterix MDL Senior Member

Apr 18, 2022
    #1 Chuterix, Sep 24, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2022
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Chuterix

Apr 18, 2022
    #2 Chuterix, Sep 24, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2022
    (OP)
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    PAE patch for Vista-10 x86 is already part of XP2ESD, this meand if you builded XPESD image and added Vista.wim file you can install it and use all features that POWIS Launcher contains :) Every ported drivers for XP can work on Vista, the just needs ntoskrn8.sys builded as 6.0 target. You can build it from by GitHub Extender Fork, there is also untouched fork of PAE patch.
    ACPI Patch needs to be improved. But all of these things will be done in near future (probably around Christmas) with Vista2ESD :)

4. Chuterix

Apr 18, 2022
    this is a yay, so x86 can now run with all ram, and for all systems! does this mean i can just build xp2esd installation media as install.wim and then replace it?
    this is also a yay, and more, since this means a system that worked with xp2esd can work with vista2esd! about compiling ntoskrn8.sys, i'm not quite programmer so i'm noob at building things (and i don't have software to because i'm too lazy :p)
    hmm? what was wrong with the current acpi patch? still some non-acpi compliant bsods? since my main system had ran vista without acpi compliant errors (albeit ocassional bsods). has there been a fix to it?
    the thinkpad t430 (ivy bridge) i have could run vista with all drivers (but unknown supervisor pw is there, and i'm noob at disassembly so i have someone else try to do it [eeprom chip stores supervisor pw]. the wimax and wwan driver were disabled and can't change it) thanks to snappy driver installer origin, which grabbed all of drivers, even unsigned drivers. but since there were unsigned drivers, there was a lenovo power driver (forgot exact name) that's kernel mode driver, so without disabling driver signature enforcement windows will not start due to the unsigned driver. i'll tell you the driver name once i finish the t430 vista experiment and tell what to sign
    other questions are, why can't vanilla vista be installed on a disk with a system reserved partition? or at least with some sort of weird mbr partitioning table (from usb at least) (wasn't it error 0x80070241?)
    on the t430 i had to wipe (quick one that just removes partition tables) the drive in order to install vista. vista got installed without any system reserved partition.
    (sorry this reply is getting disorganized)
    so my test: install windows vista onto vmware, then install all updates from the installation guide in sysprep mode, then capture as wim then create xp2esd installation media, then replace install.wim.

to conclude, now i get when you said "it will release in late 4q 2022"
    in the future, it is a "merry christmas and a happy new year" from saint george king
    hohohohoho...

5. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    @Chuterix Simply build XP2ESD ISO, create bootable USB using Rufus. Rename install.esd to XP.esd, then add your builded install.wim with Vista renamed to Vista.wim for example (can be compressed into ESD too). During setup choose Standard Windows setup and deploy image. POWIS Launcher can handle unlimited amount of WIM/ESD/SWM files.

When I release XP2ESD v1.6.3 after my vacations ends. I will start modding ported drivers INFs to support 6.0 / 6.1 systems too. There is also one new feature for RunOnceEx that need to be finished because its compatible with all systems. I will tell more about that later.

About ACPI patch, it needs to converted to dynamic patcher, same as I did in latest XP2ESD release for Windows 7 based setup.

6. Chuterix

Apr 18, 2022
    #6 Chuterix, Sep 28, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2022
    (OP)
    i am installing windows vista on lenovo thinkpad t430, with a ivy bridge cpu, which has all unofficial drivers (lenovo does not officially provide most drivers for vista on this model)
    there’s a lenovo power management driver; (lenovo pm device) HWID=ACPI\LEN0068
    snappy driver installer origin could install all of the drivers, but the problem is that, the lenovo pm device driver is unsigned, and it’s a kernel mode driver, so driver signature enforcement has to be disabled to boot into vista.
    0B156DCE-F537-4D2C-9629-36A2FBCD3B5B.jpeg
    but the driver does work with driver signature enforcement disabled
    pmdevice1.JPG pmdevice2.JPG
    (if no image shows up for you ask me and i'll reupload it)
    i'm following the installation guide and i'm installing all drivers before updating, so i'll get back once i install all updates but driver's still unsigned. maybe i'll remove driver before updating and reinstall.
    "certificate chain processed but terminated in untrusted root certificate" sounds like sha-256 sign problem
    driverpack path:
    DP_Vendor_22092.7z\Lenovo\WinAll\PowerManagement\1.67.16.42
    once i get back to updating vista, if i still experience unsigned lenovo pm driver i'll ask for you to sign (or have a way to sign this driver, either by custom certificate or something idk)
    ivy bridge is last good cpu to support vista, but since there's no official drivers this is why i'm asking for a signed driver
    and i gtg to bed. see you tomorrow

7. Chuterix

Apr 18, 2022
    ok so some things, @George King
    i cheated and used an iso you posted on winraid (the nvme problem topic) that has all updates until may/june 2021 and the result is the lenovo pm device is still unsigned, but it looks like the iso used a patch to get rid of driver signature enforcement permanently so it would boot regardless of unsigned drivers.
    sdio installs the intel igpu driver (intel hd graphics 4000) from driverpacks incorrectly/the driverpacks are incorrect, so it installs a igpu driver which doesn’t work and says it’s corrupt. had to manually install it. my main pc is fixed, however i have school, but what is the custom gpu driverpack for xp2esd in the driverpacks folder and will there be custom gpu driverpack that includes the intel igpu driver which actually works in vista2esd?
    once again i have to go to school so i have to prepare and so i gtg. see you afternoon (cst)
    P.S. will final vista2esd use original vista pe + windows 8.0 setup engine + usb 3 drivers & registry entries, or the windows 7 pe + windows 8-10 setup engine?

8. Chuterix

Apr 18, 2022
    FlashBoot Pro does not support GOP VGA patch using a Vista ISO. So we should find new way. (or port bootx64.efi from FlashBoot's Windows 7 patch similar to XP2ESD?)
    flashbootvista.png
    Used Vista SP2 MSDN x64 ISO, so it should match ISO hashes (checked on files.rg-adguard.net)
    Code:
    File name: en_windows_vista_sp2_x64_dvd_342267.iso
    OpenHashTab results:
    en_windows_vista_sp2_x64_dvd_342267.iso    MD5    A1C024D7ABAF34BAC3368E88EFBC2574
    en_windows_vista_sp2_x64_dvd_342267.iso    SHA-1    AAEE3C04533899F9F8C4AE0C4250EF5FAFBE29A3
    en_windows_vista_sp2_x64_dvd_342267.iso    SHA-256    EDF9F947C5791469FD7D2D40A5DCCE663EFA754F91847AA1D28ED7F585675B78
    en_windows_vista_sp2_x64_dvd_342267.iso    SHA-512    1DD5B0A2FF91D4BF9BA9E2E9FECAE3C74DA61B93430B49017679338EF3DB07B41584BE202B74306CDAEBCDD827F7E5E36AEDB30B225783849706F532DAE5BBD0

9. ruslanshchur

ruslanshchur MDL Senior Member

Sep 13, 2020
    BTW does Windows Vista fully updated up to 2022 will work stable on Ryzen?

10. Chuterix

Apr 18, 2022
  11. Chuterix

Apr 18, 2022
  12. Chuterix

Apr 18, 2022
    @George King please check those driver packs (notably ivy bridge graphics) to see how good they install and then please upload signed Lenovo PM device driver as soon as you can
    You can tell me if you don't have ivy bridge system
    To clarify with excerpts from PMs:

13. Chuterix

Apr 18, 2022
    I’d like to think with George King’s post that there’s probably going to be ported SD/MMC drivers for Vista.
    I forgot if other ported NVMe drivers (not chinese driver, but ported ones from 7 such as generic driver and manufacturer based driver) all work in Vista (with just some .inf mod) or they would still need some work. I’m waiting for the Chinese nvme driver to be tested and find working. I heard in old deleted messages that “nvme still needs work”

14. Chuterix

Apr 18, 2022
    ported drivers collection for vista?
    i notice this thread isn’t getting used a lot. when vista2esd releases, i will request closure of this thread unless asked by users to keep this thread.
    now i’ll create new vote

15. Chuterix

Apr 18, 2022
    this thread is nothing but a brick wall air i'm talking to.

16. CommandrKeen

CommandrKeen MDL Novice

Jul 18, 2015
    Are there drivers for the msi z270i on vista at all?
    I been looking around I mostly want network drivers and the stuff you need

17. Chuterix

Apr 18, 2022
    I'm not sure, especially the WLAN Dual Band Wireless AC and the ethernet.

18. Chuterix

Apr 18, 2022
    I suppose @TigTex voted to not keep this thread was because this thread has been a mess.
    If there are more No votes than I'm obsoleting this thread, and then talk in the Vista2ESD thread. This vote should end around the estimated time/week it would release. (late winter 2022)

19. CommandrKeen

CommandrKeen MDL Novice

Jul 18, 2015
    Unfortunate, I mean there are the drivers for 7, they all work great I just thought maybe someone already did some backporting but I guess not..
    Atleast GTX 1070 drivers are available but not really useable with the other stuff missing

20. Chuterix

Apr 18, 2022
    I think modded drivers for Vista can be achieved with NTOSKRNL_Emu especially due to there being drivers for Windows 7, but it's kinda complicated. I think you can ask @George King, not sure if he'll respond
    And I don't know if it wouldn't just be add missing imports but also change information in the driver binaries