Windows Vista SP1 and Language Packs

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by dlemus, Feb 22, 2008.

1. dlemus

dlemus MDL Novice

Jan 27, 2008
    Hi,

I recently did a fresh vista ultimate install from an english dvd distribution (used my hp oem legitimate key) and then installed SP1 RC2 refresh 2 (the one you get from these forums and which is said to be the final SP1).

Now I'm trying to install a language pack, downloading the versions you get from these forums. When I try to install them I get a message saying:
    "The language can't be selected because the language pack version is incompatible with this version of windows"

Does anyone have an idea of what's going on? Is this related with the service pack? Is there a way to overcome the problem ... perhaps SP1 versions of the langpacks (btw, windows update doesn't show up any langpack either)

Please help :(

2. At0mAng

At0mAng MDL Novice

Feb 5, 2008
    The language packs are different. You need to apply the SP1 version that has the language pack you want. SP1 comes with a one language, 5 languages and 36 languages versions.

When I was reading on how to slipstream there was some stuff about the language packs and how they must be installed...

Find the WAIK from MS and take a look at the readme files. It kind of explains it in there...

What language pack are you trying to install?

3. CreativeMan

CreativeMan MDL Novice

Jan 31, 2008
    Hi,

Why don't you try a rollback by uninstalling SP1 then install your language pack and then reinstall SP1 ?

Bye,

4. dlemus

dlemus MDL Novice

Jan 27, 2008
    I thought about it, however, I always had the feeling that reinstalling something has impact on performance. I just did a fresh install!!!

Of course, if there is no solution I will have no other choice ... that's why I'm asking :)

BTW, I opened the langpack file (7zip manager). From what I see all the folders are refered to pre SP1 versions.

5. dlemus

dlemus MDL Novice

Jan 27, 2008
  6. dlemus

dlemus MDL Novice

Jan 27, 2008
    Just in case, I confirm I installed 36 languages SP1 version. So, that shouldn't be a problem.

7. China4Ever

China4Ever Bios Mod.

Apr 25, 2007
    I don't think your 36 languages sp1 version is the RTM but an RC (Release Candidate). I'm waiting the final sp1 exe standalone for my language (italian). ;)

8. dlemus

dlemus MDL Novice

Jan 27, 2008
    Anyone tried yet to install a language pack after installation of vista sp1? :)

9. YUMYUM9x

YUMYUM9x MDL Novice

May 20, 2007
    #14 YUMYUM9x, Feb 26, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  10. guanellaluigi

guanellaluigi MDL Novice

Feb 18, 2008
    Just FYI, the current 5-languages SP1 refuses to install if it finds already installed a language pack different from the 5 supported.

Just tried.