Windows won't activate after system crash

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by crabnebula, Nov 29, 2009.

1. crabnebula

crabnebula MDL Novice

Aug 30, 2008
    Wondering if anyone can help.

I have an Acer laptop that came with Vista and already had a SLIC 2.1 table in the BIOS, as well as an Acer OEM certificate.

I upgraded it to Windows 7 Utimate using the Acer OEM SLP key without issues.

Last night, the system crashed. Upon rebooting I was greeted with the not genuine / counterfeit software messages, as well as the watermark.

After trying to reinstall the product key + certificate, reflashing the BIOS and rearming to no avail, I thought I might have a corrupt tokens.dat, so I erased it and recreated it using the "slmgr.vbs /rilc" command, than reinstalled the certificate and OEM SLP product key again.

Still not working. Windows says the Ultimate product key is not valid and is giving me 30 days to activate.

Strangely it seems to be a problem with the certificate. SLIC DUMP tool reports that SLIC 2.1 in BIOS is OK, product key is correct, *BUT* the OEM certificate is not found. I'm fairly certain that Windows SP is not seeing the certificate either. However, I CAN SEE the contents of my certificate file in tokens.dat if I open the file in an editor.

Any idea what's going on?

Thanks for any ideas.

2. qwertylesh

qwertylesh MDL Novice

Oct 24, 2009
    goto the Windows 7 repository, you'll find instructions on how to uninstall the product key and deactivate the windows there.
    follow those commands before importing the certificate and key again.
    that should do it :)

3. crabnebula

crabnebula MDL Novice

Aug 30, 2008
    Thanks for your reply.

I should have mentioned it, but I already tried that as well.

I followed the instructions in the repository which included running the slmgr.vbs -cpky and -upk commands before reinstalling the SLP product key.

Didn't work either...

Maybe I should also mention that I'm running MS Security Essentials -- PC is used by wife, doesn't know how to practice safe surf ;-) -- and I have tried a full scan with Trend Micro House Call to check for viruses.

Question is: is there anything that could explain why slmgr -ilc isn't installing a certificate properly, and/or that the certificate is "not seen" by windows.

4. weijian95

weijian95 MDL Novice

Nov 18, 2009
    Looks like Microsoft found out how to patch loaders/OEM SLP keys, someone gt the same prob too, he use RemoveWAT and it worked, why don't you give it a try?

5. DKane

DKane MDL Junior Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Don't be silly, he's using a hardmod. MS can't de-auth those without pissing off the OEMs. Remove WAT may work, but don't go stirring up a panic about MS disabling SLP.

Just as a possibility, does your OEM key start with 22TKD? Because that one's blacklisted.

6. Tripa

Tripa MDL Member

Oct 6, 2009
    What do you mean by "blacklisted"? I have two Lenovo laptops activated with that key, and still getting updates, and validating ok.

7. DKane

DKane MDL Junior Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Oh... Well, it's *supposed* to be blacklisted. Do you get optional updates? If so, then well... Weird. I could have sworn that key was supposed to have been revoked. No computer should have been sold using it.

8. Tripa

Tripa MDL Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Ok, thanks. I heard that rumour too, but I can install optional updates, other microsoft updates (office), etc. No problem at all.

9. crabnebula

crabnebula MDL Novice

Aug 30, 2008
    No it doesn't, it's the Acer Ultimate SLP key found in these forums. I also tried using another SLP key from Dell, didn't work.

Last night I tried using the Key Cert Branding Tool, which seems to use an alternate method to install certificates, didn't work either.

I wonder how the SLIC DUMP Tool reads the OEM certificate, since that is what isn't working, but I'll post in that thread to ask.

Thanks for your suggestions.

10. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    I "upgraded" a HP laptop by taking a complete system image of the Vista system and then doing a complete fresh install.

Upgrading Vista is a bad idea - you'll end up with a less than optimized system.

Do a fresh install - you'll see the benefits.

PS I assume you disabled any antivirus during the upgrade

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. crabnebula

crabnebula MDL Novice

Aug 30, 2008
    Yes, I removed all antivirus software during the upgrade. Plus, the system worked fine for a month before the BSOD which was due to the video drivers.

I've performed upgrade installs of Windows 7 many times during the beta and RC phase, and it didn't seem to impact performance. You know, Windows 7 = Vista SP3...

In this case it looks like I'll end up having to reinstall anyway.

Still curious as to why my OEM cert isn't working anymore though.

12. weijian95

weijian95 MDL Novice

Nov 18, 2009
    Sorry I didn't notice he has SLIC 2.1, and what I meant was Microsoft blacklisted the key or found out some way to block us from using Loaders to install certs/serials.