Windows won't shut down

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by kmetek, Sep 22, 2014.

1. kmetek

kmetek MDL Novice

Oct 28, 2012
    One week now Windows 7 won't shut down after 1hr shutdown timer....monitor just goes black/idle and computer hibernates but doesn't shut down completely.....how to check what's causing it?

2. MysTikAL3

MysTikAL3 MDL Senior Member

Jul 15, 2013
    If it was working previously use system restore.
    The cause could be any one of many things, not worth trying to track it down...
    Reinstall your shutdown app or try another freeware.
    Check out that something didn't glitch/change your shutdown button options..
    If your system is several years old, back it up and clean install fresh 7...
    It could be one or more corrupt files anywhere in the system..:rolleyes:
    :)

3. LM3

LM3 MDL Member

Jul 30, 2009
    You could try MS DART to repair the system files.

4. apologized

apologized MDL Addicted

Nov 29, 2012
    try repair

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. zahnoo

zahnoo MDL Senior Member

Feb 2, 2011
    Are you using a third party program or the Windows OS itself? The utility within Windows has always worked for me and it far simpler than running a program.

If you're not using Windows to do this, create a batch file with this one line: shutdown /s /t 3600

Name it what you want; running the batch file will shut down your computer in 3,600 seconds which is one hour. If you want, you can schedule this using Task Scheduler.

If this batch file approach doesn't work, your system is damaged somehow and needs repair of some type.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. kmetek

kmetek MDL Novice

Oct 28, 2012
    yeah this zahnoo......3600 usually....but even if i click on shutdown it doesn't shut down just spinning logo "logging off".....

how to repair? MS DART?

7. zahnoo

zahnoo MDL Senior Member

Feb 2, 2011
    Shutdown button, shutdown program or Windows 7 shutdown command batch file?

In doing a repair, and assuming there is no malware, I do the following in order and stop as soon as the problem is solved. Obviously a full OS reinstall solves a host of problems. first I run the system file checker, then restore a system image, then a repair installation and finally a wipe and OS reinstall. Never used DaRT.

I generally don't have a whole lot of patience with nagging problems. I'm set up for rather easy system restoration so I get to that pretty quickly.

8. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    this is rather easy to track down...

just check your system logs in event viewer and you'll find the culprit.

i repaired a laptop for a friend that wouldn't shut down going through the standard processes--would just hang at "shutting down" until the battery died or power was held for a long while. it was a faulty power management driver. on another system doing the same thing it was a faulty dvdrw drive and its driver. on another system it was faulty power management on a wifi adapter driver. all these errors were listed under "service control manager" errors.

easy to find, easy to fix.