Windows XP Activation is being Discontinued

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by GOD666, Jun 12, 2018.

1. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    #1 GOD666, Jun 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    It would seem that Microsoft has silently discontinued activation for Windows XP, as folks via social media are reporting that you can no longer activate via the internet or phone. I decided to install XP on another computer and sure enough, it too failed to activate online and when calling up I was informed that XP was no longer supported, including activation. -- I'm not surprised by this. -- Microsoft dropped support for Windows XP back in 2014 (4 years ago), but you could still activate it regardless. I long ago suspected eventually they would end activation too.

Some folks are claiming that depending on where you are or where the call center you get directed toward, you can still activate XP, but it does seem Windows XP's activation is being phased out. I, myself, used a VL key and local script to activate as the normal method for home and pro no longer worked.

edit: I believe the above is self-explanatory, but allow me to re-clarify.

This is only impacting normal HOME and PRO editions, via the regular methods a normal end-user (consumer) would attempt to activate via online or calling Microsoft using their HOME or PRO edition. Online activation seems to time-out and when calling Microsoft, the automated system no longer has XP as an option, and when speaking to an agent, the moment they ask you what product will you be activating today and you reply, XP, you're told they cannot help you (not even given the chance to provide your key).

This has nothing to do with localized activation or pre-activated volume license copies of Windows XP (I, myself, was able to activate using a VL key and a local script).

2. lewcass

lewcass MDL Senior Member

Mar 10, 2018
    :cheers:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    #3 GOD666, Jun 12, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2018
    (OP)
    I originally obtained this here on MDL in the past.
    Removed

It seems to be the only way I could get Windows XP to activate anymore. When calling into Microsoft, the automated system doesn't even give XP as a choice anymore and if you manage to speak with a live agent, as soon as I told him I wanted to activate XP, I was told how XP was "end of life", no longer supported, and that I should switch to Windows 10. But the local script with VL still works.

4. lewcass

Mar 10, 2018
    #4 lewcass, Jun 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    Nice one GOD666 :good3: though there are no issues of that nature here :cool:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. lewcass

Mar 10, 2018
    And never will be :biggrin5:, that said i rarely use it nowadays, w7 is good enough :yes:

6. lewcass

Mar 10, 2018
    The vlk i used got blocked after a few years, i just didnt put it online anymore. :D

7. gaerher

gaerher MDL Junior Member

Mar 11, 2018
  8. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Why oh Why the vlk especially on older machines when you can use SLP 1.0 with DMI editing or bios mod and preactivate.

9. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Nah, as long as the key worked it was good enough :D:D

10. lewcass

Mar 10, 2018
    Because when you dont know how to do those ways its better to take the easy route rather than bricking your motherboard, especially when funds are not in abundance.

Sorry but i am not risking a bricked system or f----d motherboard just to please other forum users.

11. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    #14 GOD666, Jun 13, 2018
    (OP)
    You're in a hurry. I was offline. Although it seems my follow-up reply was only a few seconds after yours which means you type faster than me.

OK, now try HOME or Pro editions. I clearly state in post #1 that this issue is only impacting HOME or PRO and has nothing to do with VL or pre-inserted activation. This thread is to address normal (manual) activation as a regular end-user would by either trying to activate online or by phone.

12. lewcass

Mar 10, 2018
    And you didnt care if it was blocked. :D

13. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Nothing is blocked, the screens i posted here clearly show the key still works and windows xp is working 100%.

14. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    #17 GOD666, Jun 13, 2018
    (OP)
    OK, now try HOME or Pro editions. I clearly state in post #1 that this issue is only impacting HOME or PRO and has nothing to do with VL or pre-inserted activation. This thread is to address normal (manual) activation as a regular end-user would by either trying to activate online or by phone.

Um, go f**k yourself. :rolleyes:

Seriously, I don't know what your problem is. I hardly ever come here and when I do it's only to ever help others or inform people, yet you seem to have a problem, but that problem clearly is your problem. I suggest you get a life since clearly from your previous reply you're lacking one.
    Like honestly, who freaks out when someone else is offline for 3 hours? I'm sorry you don't have a life. But I do. And this is not the first time you clearly have a problem.

Whatever problem you have, correct it or seek help.

15. lewcass

Mar 10, 2018
    Its immaterial now because i use w7 which is very stable even though it is bloated compared to xp. The joy of having usb booting instead of slow optical discs is worth it alone. then there is the messing about getting xp to work on modern hardware. Life is too short and i am getting too old for this s**t :biggrin3:

16. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Guys, please don't make it kindergarten.

@GOD666 is talking about retail/OEM:COA/OEM System builder keys which need online/phone activation. Any SKU which is VL capable (in this case Professional), OEM:SLP activation or even Windows Update isn't part of the actual topic.

@GOD666

I've removed the link from your post as AntiWPA isn't supported here.

17. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller MDL Spinning Tortoise

Dec 21, 2012
    The medic911 OEMBIOS installer comes with ANTIWPA3 as an option. Just in case.

I have to convert all Win7 machines with non-SSE2 CPUs to XP now, because MS doesn't seem to be interested in fixing their update problems with Win7 on such CPUs (no boot at all). XP updates work, even on my Pentium II MMX machine.