Windows XP Activation is being Discontinued

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by GOD666, Jun 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    Well, that's disappointing. I got my copy from here on MDL a while back. What changed? I honestly, wouldn't know how to activate Windows XP without it given now that Microsoft is killing off normal activation.

2. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    @Carlos Detweiller @GOD666

TBH, there are couple of things scattered on XP and older sub-forums which aren't complying with our policies but either they are too dated or not applicable anymore thus the effort to clean them up isn't worthwhile.

The officially suggested way to deal with XP activation is via OEM:SLP (just like Daz's loader and mentioned by @urie too) which is applicable for most of the common SKUs. Please go through the stickies if you've any doubt, otherwise other members (me included) can help you.

:)

3. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Yes, I know. Tatoo'ing the BIOS with the appropriate SLP 1.0 manufacturer/OEM string (if needed), then downloading the matching OEMBIOS files, and applying them using the OEMBIOS Installer tool. That's, essentially, activating XP in a nutshell.

It'll work forever, and is resistant against hardware changes.

4. lewcass

lewcass MDL Senior Member

Mar 10, 2018
    Resistance is futile. :haha:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. isn't this a risky method as it might brick bios?

6. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    1. Most of the PCs comes with SLP string(s), or the 'GENUINE' Intel one is sufficient.
    2. If not, a full mod isn't necessary most of the times - as adding them in DMI area (aka tattooing) is enough.

7. okay, as a general user, i never played with bios with any tools so i've zero experience in editing it.
    so i want to confirm whether recommended activation method for xp at mdl may brick the bios or not?
    if no, then users can use it without worrying.
    if yes, then in my opinion, mdl shouldn't recommend it for activation as it might brick bios and motherboard will be unusable. and that shouldn't happen in any case.

8. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    @ShiningDog

Please do some research before posting any opinion - DMI/SMBIOS editing (if at all necessary) is a very safe procedure and has nothing to do with bios (modding bios is completely optional).

9. lewcass

lewcass MDL Senior Member

Mar 10, 2018
    #29 lewcass, Jun 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    Its safe to do it when you know how or are confident enough to give it a try. When in doubt, using the safer option is always preferable.If you only have 1 pc or laptop and dont want to brick it then go safe.

If you have an old cpu board ram and hdd gathering dust then i would give it a go because it doesnt matter if you brick them right?

That said i am not arguing your point though, there are different ways to acheive the same end result.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. Sajjo

Sajjo MDL Member

Feb 6, 2018
    @GOD666
    I´m sorry for your spoiled thread

11. MELERIX

MELERIX MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2011
    you can activate XP (clean install) offline, just install manually KB892130 and then KB905474.

12. as i said previously, i never did anything to bios with any tool,thats why i was not sure whether it is safe or not. since you confirmed that it is safe, i'm gonna give it a try for fun and see how it works :) thanks.

13. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Still not one link to any claim of some people :rolleyes::rolleyes:

14. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    :rofl: Nothing was ever spoiled. ;)

15. rhahgleuhargh

rhahgleuhargh MDL Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Hi,
    If you want to reinstall XP in the same machine, you can also backup wpa.dlb and wpa.bak files in Windows\system32 folder from your activated OEM system, then reinstall XP, and put back the files booting in safe mode.

16. AsocialSurvival

AsocialSurvival MDL Novice

Jul 4, 2018
    #36 AsocialSurvival, Aug 19, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2018
    You want legal way? I use illegal way by installing original (made by microsoft) xp vl edition with sp3 (downloaded from the-eye.eu, checksums can be verified on heidoc.net) and using sp3 vl key from (Link Removed Warez Site ). It gets activated during installation without internet, I thought this was never possible. But there is someone on msfn mentioning to have discovered how to online activate (non-vl versions like oem...) in 2018:

Since there's not much info out there on the web unless you spend a considerable amount of time googling, I thought i'd post the solution so more people can find it quickly

Turns out it's exceedingly easy to restore Windows XP Online Activation

• Open the Start Menu
    • Right Click on Internet and choose "Internet Properties"
    • Goto the Advanced Tab
    • Scroll down near the bottom to the Security Section and uncheck both:
    • "Check for publisher's certificate revocation"
    • "Check for server certificate revocation"
    Now you can activate online as normal or use the "Windows XP Product Key Change Tool"

I would reccomend re-enabling both options afterwards even if you dont use Internet Exploder (which you REALLY REALLY should not be)

You may want to consider pinning this post so that its easier to find for people having this ever more common problem

17. randyored

randyored MDL Junior Member

May 8, 2007

18. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    You quote a post with removed content (moderator removed it june 14.)
    And the subject of the thread was incorrect anyway.

19. Lukedelf04

Lukedelf04 MDL Novice

Aug 22, 2018

I was able to activate 2 days ago using Internet activation. It never worked using a SP2 disc's product key, only a 2001 XP disc's product key.

20. smallhagrid

smallhagrid MDL Addicted

Sep 14, 2013