Windows XP and Windows 8 which one is better?

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by juny0909, Feb 29, 2012.

1. mictlan

mictlan MDL Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Windows 7 / 8 are far easier to maintain then Windows XP (WAIK / DISM / Software deployment tools / Setup / Custom setups)
    Windows 7 / 8 have several improvements to the kernal / subsystem.
    UAC from Vista on forced programmers to program 'correctly' meaning proggies run without admin rights! Most important feature for modern Windows!

Windows XP will be gone by April 2014 thus making the decision easy.

2. mictlan

mictlan MDL Member

Nov 9, 2009
    And before I forget: Windows 8 15.99 USD + 5 USD for StartIsBack.
    How is this making extra money on the customer :confused:

3. Sargeist

Sargeist MDL Novice

Sep 20, 2012
    I don't think that we can compare Win8 with WinXP just because they're so far apart released and designed for different purposes. I, myself have used WinXP for year and had no problems with it, it worked great on my old computer, but as I upgraded my system I needed a more suitable OS so I switched to Win7 and now I will give 8 a try also.

4. solarstone2149

solarstone2149 MDL Member

Dec 11, 2009
    #44 solarstone2149, Mar 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2013
    kernal really ?

good thing that people don't live the way you wish
    and no XP will not be gone for at least next 8 years

just as win 98 is still used to-day

5. mictlan

mictlan MDL Member

Nov 9, 2009
    There is no need to be rude!

6. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    I consider Win 7 to be the best OS though I have been using Win 8 fully since Dec because of its native support for more modern hardware.
    Have not used win xp since late-2009 and I consider win xp to be extremely limiting in its hardware support for modern PCs and this is the case even for budget oriented modern hardware configs.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. TheOldScout

TheOldScout MDL Junior Member

Nov 7, 2009
    #47 TheOldScout, Mar 30, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
    I just replaced Windows XP pro SP3 with 8 pro x86 on my old 2005 MSI RS480M2 motherboard with an AMD X64 x2 cpu with 1.5 gb of DDR and was pleasantly surprised at how well it runs. I'm not sure it runs any faster, but newer software is available for W8 that won't run on XP. No problem finding the drivers I needed either. My Windows Experience Index was 4.5 :)

8. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    W7 would run well on that also. I am not a fan of W8, but maybe it is just TOO different for me. I still have XP computers also. All the OS have their place, whether on specific hardware or the garbage pile, it is very individual in the end.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Duker

Duker MDL Novice

Jan 1, 2013
    Win8 FTW

Some OLD things should be left dead... :D

Does XP even know what to do with an i7 and 32gb RAM (We Don't even sell under 4gb ram now...) LMAO
    And for a [Start] button if you can use a mouse to click, "Maybe" try some keyboard shortcuts :eek:
    Same as: XP/Vister/7... so on just look :icecream:

Sooo Win8 FTW :kicking:

10. jassi

jassi MDL Junior Member

Sep 10, 2011

11. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    XP x64 works great with 32GB (max 128GB) ram and an i7 :icecream:

12. MakeMeBad

MakeMeBad MDL Novice

Oct 19, 2012
    LOL, really gotta laugh at that comment... considering that xp came out in "2001" & some ppl are still using it ,to date that's like 12 years... that's pretty good goin for an old OS!!!!
    Wonder how win 8 will fair in 12 years??? Guess time will tell!!!

I personally still like xp... it's still serves some purpose & planning a 3rd partition with xp. :cool:

13. Viggen66

Viggen66 MDL Senior Member

May 24, 2011
    I personally prefer XP Over 8, when it comes to working on a laptop or a tablet, for laptop I prefer a solid, stable, full supporting operating system, fast and reliable, than working on a operating sytem that likes to use a mask as a tablet operating system, which is nothing, MS has made a mistake on releasing that particular OP, Android is much better than this, and talking about Win 7, how can people say 7 is faster than XP, when on stock instalattion on XP is takes about 1 Gig of Hard Disk when compared with 7, which is 10 times more, how can you say is faster if it's full of bloatware on the instalattion, stick with XP, is raw, bloat free, and fast, and if you like customization, you have losts of themes available to make a fresh look on XP

14. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    i love xp sp2+ and i know a key in my head :p VLK and sp3 capable.. however i do like my win7 just as much, then there are the toy os's linux and osx that facinate me with its own quirks.
    i have had them all in my pc except 8 as its a GUI that im not getting used to
    (i wiped xp recently from my partition but i have it on a separate pc downstairs)

15. chr1

chr1 MDL Novice

May 16, 2013
    #55 chr1, May 17, 2013
    Last edited: May 17, 2013
    You are very lucky being able to choose what windows you prefer.
    I have an 8 yeard old computer that do not meet requirements for 7/8 so XP is mandatory.
    I also recently bought two new laptops (Toshiba for my wife and Dell for me).
    There are no drivers for XP anymore, only for 7/8, so I have to install 7 or 8.

16. MakeMeBad

MakeMeBad MDL Novice

Oct 19, 2012
    very nice Viggen66.... but i've already got 1 of those, just reinstalled xp after 2 yrs nice to see the ol' girl retro look... so to speak.

Plus used :
    XPSP3_QFE_UpdatePack_20130409.7z "by user_hidden"
    NonnoFabio_IE8_WinXPSP3_SvcPack_AddOn_ENU.7z
    NetALL.7z
    OnePiece_DirectX_True_AddOn_INTL.cab
    Kels_Runtimes_addon_v8.5.7z
    Ricks-YumeYao_MicrosoftVC7891012RuntimeLibraries_MixedAddon_2_2_0.7z
    POSReady.7z
    Royale Theme for Win XP Inf-Addon.7z
    DaRkMaDnEsS_CabMaker_V3.3.7z
    Kels_DirectX_CPL_addon_v9.0c.CAB
    Kels_MSConfig_addon_v1.2.cab
    WMP11 " using WMP11 Slipstreamer

Originally i used "onepiece AIO " update pack... but had issues with internet explorer if unistalled it would complain bout "iertutil.dll" not bein there & won't get past the desktop ,so got some bug................
    Anyways here's a pic!!!! :animatedwink:

Attached Files:

17. Viggen66

Viggen66 MDL Senior Member

May 24, 2011
    MakeMebad, do you build xp isos? With the tools available today, it's possible to integrate all the .net frameworks, Ms VS C+ Redist, custom themes, with ease, free of bugs, and extremely slim and fast, isn't this what all people is looking for, a fast, raw, clean Operating System extremely reliable, I got more BSOD on Win 7 than on XP, because of these new tools, actually on XP I got none until now

18. MakeMeBad

MakeMeBad MDL Novice

Oct 19, 2012
    #59 MakeMeBad, May 18, 2013
    Last edited: May 18, 2013
    yeh, last xp sp2 days i did went for nearly 3 yrs,no format or reinstall ... till the hdd died. so it was extremely reliable , tools for xp have been around for yrs mainly "nlite" and "ryanvm integator " addon's and tweaks are plenty (just test 1st in virtual pc b4 usin in real world).
    Think the secret,,, if there is such a thing is not to go overboard with the lite-ing and not to take out tooo much.
    You can do the same with win7 and even win8(to be fair) with tools available today 1 tool is "wintoolkit" done a guy called "LegoLash" @ wincert forums, really worth taking a look.

gotta go.... :biggrin:

19. ambidav

ambidav MDL Guru

May 14, 2008
    I'm moving on with the times but still find a place in my heart for XP :worthy: