Windows XP Boot up.

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by Poppy28, Mar 21, 2008.

1. Poppy28

Poppy28 MDL Novice

Mar 21, 2008
    Please can any one tell me how to stop my pc staying on the Windows is starting up sceen for about five mins befor completeing the booting up? I have tried many things but non of them work for me. I have even repaired the windows instalation and it still does the same thing.I think the big hammer is the next step. The system is Windows XP pro with service pack One.

2. ancestor(v)

ancestor(v) Admin
    Staff Member

Jun 26, 2007
    We need more information...from what you are telling us, it's not really possible to gain any useful.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Poppy28

Poppy28 MDL Novice

Mar 21, 2008
    Boot Up

I am sorry this is all new to me what do you want to know? Whats happening is when I boot up my pc it sticks on the Windows is Starting up screen for ages and ages before completeing the start up?

4. ancestor(v)

ancestor(v) Admin
    Staff Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Have you tried booting in safe mode?

Maybe it's some update thingy causing a sensation. Please give us more technical information on your machine and the software you have installed, especially the one(s) appearing on auto startup.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Poppy28

Poppy28 MDL Novice

Mar 21, 2008
    Boot up.

Its ok I think its going to be to complicated for me to sort out I will just take it to a shop and let some one else fix it, Many thanks for your help its not worth all the hassle of coming back and forth here.

Regards.

CH.

6. ancestor(v)

ancestor(v) Admin
    Staff Member

Jun 26, 2007
    However you like it...

It's not too easy giving reasons why a computer is doing what he should or shouldn't be doing. You need to know about the hardware and the software used, and about error messages or things like that.
    And even then, it sometimes is pretty hard to find out. It's not impossible, but it isn't as easy as saying "Hey, my computer boots up too slow" - "Ok, when it starts, press Button X and Z. This always helps."

Image a human being telling his doctor that he feels sick. ;)

7. tristanblade

tristanblade MDL Novice

Jul 9, 2007
    If I recall it may be your network settings. You say you have XP SP1 - there was an issue with earlier XP versions where if you have your network settings set to receive your ip address from a HDCP server it would take forever at startup getting the ip address. The solution at the time was to just set a manual ip address. The problem is gone in XP SP2 and SP3. I think it's time for you to update - don't know what you're still doing with SP1.

8. JasonX

JasonX MDL Novice

Mar 29, 2008
    Hi there,

I was suffering a similar problem with my PC a couple of weeks ago, I had just gotten a new motherboard, CPU, RAM and HDD, I built it, and installed XP onto it, XP installed just fine, and I installed all my Device drivers to, and all my software that I use on a regular basis, and to begin with I thought that it was due to the fact that I had just installed new applications that was causing the PC to be slow at start up.

However, the problem persisted for days after I had finished installing all my apps and games, I was reading about other people who had been having similar problems online, and I read a post on another website where someone suggested to unplug any IDE optical drives that you have, then power up your PC, so I went ahead and unplugged the IDE cable from the PC (all my HDD's are SATA drives) and before the loading bar would go up over 35 times, but as soon as I disconnected the Optical Drive, the bar only went up 3 times and *bang* there I was straight into Windows!!

So, I got hold of a brand new IDE ribbon, and connected this to my optical drive, and now my PC boots nice and quickly!!!

It was driving me crazy for ages before I found this persons comment, I am glad that I did find that post to, because I would probably still be confused as to why my computer was taking so long to boot if I never read that guys post!!!

Give it a try, it could be the same for you, if however your Windows Install is on an IDE drive, just get a new cable and swap it for the old IDE cable, if that doesn't work, then try putting the IDE cable into the other IDE channel as it could be something to do with the IDE ports on the motherboard to...

I hope this helps you out ;)

9. Big Dave

Big Dave MDL Novice

Apr 16, 2008
    I have Compa Presario SR1750NX

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Processor
    2GB PC3200 DDR Memory
    200GB 7200rpm SATA Hard Drive
    512 MB GeForce 8600 GT
    Windows XP Media Center 2005

My computer starts slow that when I first bought it, I have installed and IDE slave hard drive and I was wondering if thats the problem.

Also one more question I have 2GB of Memory Ram one of my friends change the virtual memory in my computer and started working slow. i do not remember what was the original Virtual Memory. Can anyone tell me how to set it up?