Windows XP DMI Parameters

Discussion in 'Virtualization' started by max2daz, Oct 7, 2014.

1. max2daz

max2daz MDL Novice

Oct 2, 2014
    Hello guys,

quick question here, so I want to modify the DMI parameters of my virtual drive, in this case Maherz Windows XP SP3. I need these to be modified : motherboard information, serial numbers, CPUID information and some other parameters.

I have managed to get the VMware Bios Multi Brand Installer to work but it doesn't change such information as manufacturer and vendor,CPUID and others. How can I accomplish this? I have Phoniex BIOS and I am running VMware version 9.

Thanks!

2. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    I see your XP DMI thread is classed as solved , but still you are using Maherz Windows XP SP3 that is VLK version i,e, volume activation it does not rely on DMI editing for manufacturers strings.

3. max2daz

max2daz MDL Novice

Oct 2, 2014
    ya the case is solved I figured out how to modify the DMI strings and I posted on this thread thinking I would get more luck. But I still dont understand the difference between the VLK version. Does that mean that the version I am using does not rely on the DMI strings meaning that even if I changed them, it will not make a difference?

4. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Exactly. Volume activation does not care about DMI strings at all. With XP, having a valid/non-blocked VL key means running without activation required, permanently.

The DMI strings are only for offline OEM (SLP 1.0) activation, used by royalty/biog OEMs for mass-distribution of their pre-configured images. That's why machines by these OEMs run the OOBE (Out-Of-Box-Experience) personalization at start, but do not need to activate. Otherwise, unactivated XP would not even log on after the 30 days grace.

5. max2daz

max2daz MDL Novice

Oct 2, 2014
    I am having trouble changing the UUID string on VMware. Basically, I edited manufacturer and venodor with Phoenix Editor but it does not work with the UUID string. I tried editing the .vmx file with notepad and there is a line of uuid.location: "XXX value" and uuid.bios: "XXX value" which are the same. I tried editing both and somehow the old UUID string keeps coming back. It doesn't change it. What am I doing wrong?

6. max2daz

max2daz MDL Novice

Oct 2, 2014
    If anyone has any ideas I would love to hear it.