Windows XP Dual Layer Burner Problems!

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Proppo, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Proppo

Proppo MDL Novice

Dec 30, 2009
    Ok, this is driving me absolutely crazy. For my dad's pc, I ordered a Pioneer DVR-218L dual layer burner. The PC has Windows XP installed with all updates. When I put the drive into the pc, it recognises fine in bios and device manager, yet in My Computer it displays as a DVD-RAM drive. It will recognise all media fine, but the moment you insert a Dual Layer disc, the Icon changes to CD-Drive without the extra "DVD/CD" type black area on the icon. It will fail to burn onto dual layer, yet when I checked in Nero Disc Info, it displayed that the disc had 8.1GB capacity.

I've tested the drive in my Windows 7 pc and it worked fine, I've also tested my 111 and 202 pioneer drives in his PC to have the same problem (1 sata/1 ide). I've also tested the drive in my SFF PC which has XP and it has the same problem as my dads.

Has anyone experienced this problem before, or know of a possible fix? I've tried everything possible, I'm assuming it has to be a windows problem, but I've searched for about 6 hours straight and haven't been able to find anything related to this problem...

2. kdo2milger

kdo2milger MDL Senior Member

Jan 5, 2010
    sounds like xp doesnt support ?dual layer?

or maybe use a driver straight from the manufacturers site instead of using a xp driver.

3. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    #3 alextheg, Jan 7, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Proppo

Proppo MDL Novice

Dec 30, 2009
    It has the latest firmware v1.02. The drive isn't faulty as I've tested it in my Win7 machine and it works perfectly. I've tried several sata cables/ports, also tried my IDE drive in his pc to the same problem. So I'm assuming it's XP's CDROM driver that's the problem perhaps, tried copying the 1 from win7 but that didn't work.

Anyone know a reliable place I could get the cdrom.sys for Win XP, or anyone have Windows XP/Dual Layer burner where I could get the driver from?

It's just so strange, the regular burner in it works fine, could it be that the other drive is a single layer burner? I really am stumped lol.

5. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Have you tried updating the driver through device manager ? :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. kdo2milger

Jan 5, 2010
    i had a problem with a dvd drive not functioning correctly too.

you know there was a reg key had something to do with upper limit or something to that effect.

when i deleted the reg file and rebooted problem was fixed.

i found out it had something to do with nero.

7. Proppo

Proppo MDL Novice

Dec 30, 2009
    Heya, I've tried updating the driver, it doesnt find any.

kdo2milger, I followed that step, but the Fix It dialog suggests that the drive isn't capable of burning. Yet in this win7 machine, it works perfectly fine? I tried removing the registry keys that didn't make a difference.

So, it has to be a windows problem and I'm assuming it's driver based?

8. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Just a bit of an idea but could this be related to the software you are using ?? ;)

9. Proppo

Proppo MDL Novice

Dec 30, 2009
    It's Windows XP, before any software is involved, Windows doesnt recognise the drive for what it should be. That test which the other guy posted, Windows think's that Dual Layer burners aren't writers. "Not capable of writing" or something the error said. So I'm assuming the xp driver support isn't working for Dual Layer drives... but it's a wierd one!.

10. kdo2milger

Jan 5, 2010
    alex has a good point.

was the dl burner oem or retail?

if it was oem go to the manufacturer website and download the software for the burner and install it. the software should contain the driver needed to use on xp

if its retail try the software disc that came with it to do the same.

xp may not have the driver it needs but im sure the support website for the burner does within the software for the burner.

ive actually upgraded the firmware in a burner before too in order for xp to recognize the burner properly.

11. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    retail or oem doesn't matter just go to original manufacturers site and either upgrade firmware or download latest drivers

12. Proppo

Proppo MDL Novice

Dec 30, 2009
    Pioneer.co.uk doesn't list the DVR-218L, and the US site doesnt have any drivers or anything?

13. Proppo

Proppo MDL Novice

Dec 30, 2009
    The firmware is V1.02 :). I don't think it's a firmware problem, as it works perectly fine on this pc. It's seems to be an XP problem, probably driver but can't find an alternative.

14. kdo2milger

Jan 5, 2010
    there are driver forums out there with franken build drivers.

ive used a franken build driver on a dvd drive on xp some years ago to get xp to recognize it.

just look around theres gotta be something out there to get xp to recognize all of its features.