Windows XP Embedded QFE Update (March 2010) #2

Discussion in 'Windows Embedded' started by un user, Jul 9, 2014.

1. un user

un user MDL Member

Jun 16, 2013
  2. KNARZ

KNARZ MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2012
    don't search for it.
    it contains some "special" usbstore.sys (usbbstore.sys or usbstoreb.sys - don't remember anymore)

we tested this special one and had many unresolved problems with it. in conclusion we used the regular usbstore.sys (version 5.1.2600.5512 - WinXP SP3) and the system worked completely fine without any issues. we also escalated this problem to microsoft directly to the embedded team but they didn't answer the problem but wanted us to buy support-hours.

3. un user

un user MDL Member

Jun 16, 2013
    From your description i've think is usbstor.sys. This is version used for usb 2.0 boot.
    I only want to test because i'm xp embedded fan.

Anyway, what problems did you have ?

Thank you !

4. KNARZ

KNARZ MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2012
    #4 KNARZ, Jul 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
    yes you're right... usbstorb or usbbstor (without the e)
    the internal/original filename of the special boot version contains an additional b (aka boot) and will be renamed into usbstor.sys while building the image. (definied in the usb boot 2.0 component)

if you want to test it: download wes2009 trial... this one is nearly the latest.
    there where some updates but they didn't work any better. - if i remember right internal version of wes 2009 is something beginning 5.1 - after some updates it was 5.3

the main problem was power off. the systems keept running (just powerd with freezed screen) while windows was shut down. - like in old win95 days were you get ask to turn/power off the pc. maybe there were also some usb pnp issues but i don't remember that much in detail. If you had too many usb devices (also internal) attached the FBA may crash... but this also stays in relation to the HAL.

ahhh..... I want to forget this bloody testing days.

5. konsheyn

konsheyn MDL Novice

Nov 14, 2021
    Hi, Are you still fan of XP Embedded? I'm trying to move XP Embedded system(hdd) to another platform based on J1900. It does start up but keyboard/mouse don't work (assuming USB). Failing to find fix decided to make XP Embedded fresh install and then move all application to fresh install. And... failing again. XP Embedded ISO required drivers implementation, as I understand. ACPI.SYS replacement illuminate ACPI BSOD. Next step - BSOD 7B. And the solution I found (XP SP3) required DOSNET.INF editing. There is no DOSNET.INF in XP Embedded ISO.
    Is it dead end?

6. un user

un user MDL Member

Jun 16, 2013
    Try to install xp sp3, if is working, you may use wes2009 to build an image for.
    If not, it means a dead end.
    Without help, is too hard to succeeed, because you nedd to know what is wrong and what action is to be taken.

7. konsheyn

konsheyn MDL Novice

Nov 14, 2021
    Thanks.
    Newer heard about wes2009, was considering 7 Standard, but licensing makes it not useable. Customer need to have ability swap flashcards between units.
    Any idea where I can find wes2009 and learn about it? Search for wes2009 didn't return much.

8. konsheyn

konsheyn MDL Novice

Nov 14, 2021
    Found everything needed, don't bother
    Thanks

9. konsheyn

konsheyn MDL Novice

Nov 14, 2021
    Thank you for all help, but unfortunately XP SP3 installation fails. Tried clean and all passible variations of drivers implementations. Looks like it is Dead End with XP. Anything else you could recommend besides wes2009? Embedded 7 would work if it could be easily copied and swapped between units.
    Thanks again