Windows XP OS disk

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by RoyKloth, May 5, 2013.

1. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    You just cannot add any manufacturer brand Dell for example will not work using tattoo method because of where Dell string is stored in DMI area. EMACHINES, Hewlett-Packard, GIGABYTE, Toshiba, and LENOVO will definitely work perhaps 911medic knows more working manufacturers.

2. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
    Thanks. I think I got a little mixed up here.
    I am currently testing two methods of XP activation, OEM and VL.

I just succesfully installed WinXP VL in a vmware. (I ran MGADIAG, It says everything was a-okay.)
    I will try an OEM installation on my physical drive soon.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Carry on test all you like but I can assure you only fool proof method is OEM:SLP.

Yes you may read some members are still using VLK keys that work yes some will work a vlk company key passed on from a friend.

Pass that key to another so called friend and it is all over the net then next thing blacklisted.

You can try OEM:SLP installation on VM Machine if you patch the bios.

If everything was that simple using a VLK i,e (corporate key) then why for years have we been learning members on OEM:SLP activation methods.

4. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
    #24 Humphrey, May 8, 2013
    Last edited: May 8, 2013
    OEM activation has been my route the entire time I have been doing activation (at least since I have learned of it) and I have worked with activating Windows 8, 7, and Vista. I thought I would try XP.

I have "VMware_Man;Auto_Selector_v315-339" that has options for XP and slp 2.1 and 1.0. I will test it to see if that allows me to install OEM XP.

UPDATE

I installed Windows XP PRO (non-VL) and tried entering several OEM keys but all showed invalid.
    Ill look around to see what else needs to be done.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Do you have a Retail copy, maybe? All three channels (RETAIL, OEM, VLK) accept different keys.

6. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
    #26 Humphrey, May 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  7. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    probably Retail install. Change the ISO SETUPP.INI to OEM and it should accept the keys. The OEMBIOS file set for the oem you are activating also need to be added.

8. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
    #28 Humphrey, May 8, 2013
  9. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    #29 urie, May 8, 2013
    Yes all you need to do is edit setupp.ini to:
    Code:
    [Pid]
    ExtraData=786F687170637175716954806365EF
    Pid=76487OEM
    Then it will accept OEM key you also need OEM bios files if you want to pre-activate.

10. Carlos Detweiller

Dec 21, 2012
    Yes, SETUPP.INI indicated VLK channel. That prevents it from accepting OEM keys. urie has already told the correct way to change it.

Note this is unique to XP and older. Since Vista the key switches the licensing channel.

11. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  12. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
    #32 Humphrey, May 8, 2013
    Sort of gathered that when I found the info :D

Thanks for the files. I am testing VMWARE copy now. Afterwards, I will attempt live install on my Asrock.

UPDATE

So I got it installed. I modified VL with the files you gave me. Installed WindowsXP unattended, first check, not genuine, installed OEMBIOS changer and added bios files. second check, needed to install validation tool from ms update, third check, genuine.

Was wondering why it has a MS key installed by default (probably cause of the files i added) and how it activated genuine with acer bios files with a ms key.

13. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
    Well I seen that the key was added by the files I added.

I tried a live install next to windows 7 and some how broke my computer :/

Back on Win7, will try again when I have another HDD to try on.

14. Carlos Detweiller

Dec 21, 2012
    Installing XP after 7 breaks the BOOMGR (or BOOTNXT) bootloader. XP uses NTLDR. So you just need to pop in the 7 disc, select Repair and let it restore the 7 bootloader. When in 7 again use EasyBCD to add the XP partition as a legacy entry.

15. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    or install .net on xp and use easybcd .. point it to the boot folder of 7 partiton

write 7 bootloader in bcd deployment.

16. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
    I then went threw a few hours of hell trying to fix it.

I am not sure how it happened.

When the computer started it would complain that the bootmgr was missing. Once I got it to stop saying it would give me a 0xc000000e error.
    I read online to use the repair disc to fix that which eventually that worked but not after I had deleted the BCD in boot and rebuilt it.
    I added the windows installation to it and then got the bootmgr missing error again.
    After lots of trial and error I was able to get into Win 7 but now my WinPE (WinRE) isn't working. (Error 0xc000000e)
    I then deleted the BCD and rebuilt it again, adding the Win7,XP entries and restarted.
    7 works, XP didnt. Giving me the error 0xc000000e again.

I have since deleted the XP boot entry and the partition I had made for it leaving me with just 7. (WINPE still broken.)

And now for some reason Windows Loader isn't working to activate my machine.
    I will try to fix it and then continue to work with XP.

17. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Just noticed your MGADiag report
    I take it this is older version of Vmware and you patched multi xp slp 1.0 strings you should have just patched with HP then you could have checked out you HP oem disk. Yes some manufacturers wont activate with M$ generic OEM:SLP key you can get keys in OEMBIOS changer there is a text file.

18. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
    I am not sure what I did atm, once I get home I will review.