Windows XP/SP2 OEM- I don't quite understand what I've read. Help please?

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by mustluvcatz, Jan 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mustluvcatz

mustluvcatz MDL Novice

Jan 8, 2011
    I had to wipe my hard drive last year and reinstall Windows. Since I couldn't find my Windows XP disc, my son gave me his as he wasn't ever going to use it again. Everything went fine installing, but I couldn't activate it. I finally managed to get around that with a key he gave me and got around the 30 day-activation with something the reset the oobe.bnk. (Which I found on Microsoft's site.) That fix was only good for 4 uses. I was hoping to find a way to fix the activation issue but never got around to it.
    Well, now Windows needs to be activated. One thing I didn't know until a few days ago is that the CD he gave me is OEM. I've read the stickies about changing VLK to OEM.
    Is that something that can be done in reverse- changing OEM to VLK? I did use the oembios tool to make sure that my computer does have at least some of the things I read about. I just don't know where to go from here. Can it be done? There's so many different stickies and tools that I'm not sure what I could or should use here. Or am I better off just wiping the drive and installing another Windows version?

Oh, something else I wondered about- I can get on the internet and use most of my programs as long as I access c: through IE, which I get to come up by clicking the link in the activation screen. Is that normal? I keep thinking I'm not supposed to be able to do this.

2. vinodh

vinodh MDL Junior Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Confirm if you have a brand name PC or a self built one. If it's a brand name PC, build a OEM SLP cd for that brand according to the sticky. If it's a self built PC, mod your BIOS to a OEM brand of your choice and use the relevant OEM SLP cd. If you are not sure how to mod your BIOS, PM me the EXACT details of your motherboard and I will do it for you.

3. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Anything can be done if you know what you are doing (which most likely is not the case)

sebus

4. mustluvcatz

mustluvcatz MDL Novice

Jan 8, 2011
    vinodh- It's a Compaq that I bought used. I do know that it wasn't built by anyone, it had all the original factory parts when I got it. The only thing that has ever been changed was the power supply, which I had to replace. Thanks for the answer- that looks easy enough for me to do.

sebus- Only time will tell. I got this one working again last year when I was told I may as well look for another one. This time it works, at least.

5. mustluvcatz

mustluvcatz MDL Novice

Jan 8, 2011
    Sorry about the double post, but I ran into a slight problem:

I created the XP Pro SP3 cd like it says to in the sticky. When it gets to the stage of entering the key, it's already there like it's supposed to be. However, it doesn't work. It says the key is invalid. I can't skip entering a key either- clicking "no" does nothing. It's a clean install as the drive was formatted first. Any help?

6. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    #6 911medic, Jan 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
    Just install the disc your son gave you and run the changer tool with the OEMBIOS set the OEMBIOS.exe tells you to use..the compaq set most likely..You dont have to make a CD if you have one already..SP3 doesnt need to have a key entered to install

If you already have a OEM cd, no use wasting time with the trials of creating your own the first time...OEM to OEM, OEM to VLK, VLK to OEM are all very similar. With a compaq machine it would be a waste of time making or using a vlk install

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. markedbyalantattoos

markedbyalantattoos MDL Novice

Jul 24, 2009
    Might be easier for you just to download a oem compaq or Hp windows xp cd from the web.:worthy:

8. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Do you think you will get a reply this thread is over a year old. Closing thread.

9. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
    lol... makes me wonder how/why they dig up such old topics :confused: