Windows XP SP3 in RAID 0 moving to new Hardware question ?

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by Bluescreen, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Bluescreen

Bluescreen MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Hello,

I am going to made a new config and need your help.
    Currently I have Windows SP3 installed in RAID 0 on a Gigabyte P45 chipset.
    My needs:
    I would like to move this existing installation to a new Motherboard with Z68 chipset.
    What is the best way if I don't want to get a BSOD at start and mess all drivers. ?
    I know how to use sysprep in Windows 7, but not into XP.
    Is there a good tutorial somewhere for RAID users ? I googled a lot and did not found. :mad:

Thanks for all suggestions. :confused:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. sedmi

sedmi MDL Novice

Nov 24, 2009
    Hello,

I am not 100% sure whether it will work for Raid0

Though I did similar with RAID1

Important:
    1. you must have XP installation CD with RAID drivers included !! (easily done with nlite)
    XP allows F6 to add drivers, but probably you do not have diskette drive on new hardware
    2. you MUST insert such modified CD BEFORE actually running RAID system for the first time on new hardware
    3. I mean you MUST select booting from CD !!**
    4. if PC starts to boot from XP CD you SKIP option Repair, but instead you proceed to install XP
    5. now you should be able to see that the windows installation was found on your system
    6. now select install XP, but NOT fresh install, but you MUST select repair existing installation
    That would remove all harware info from your previous hardware, and then it would 'reinstall' windows in exixting windows installation folder, and all you programs and settings will remain intact.

After the process is complete you must install Intel inf drivers and all other (necessary) drivers
    needed for your new hardware.

I confirm I have done it several time without any problem.
    I have even done that moving from AMD platform to Intel platform

Good luck!

Regards

sedmi

**you MUST enable in BIOS CD to be your first boot device
    One more warning: in BIOS you must also set(if not already) that your disks are in RAID configuration !!

3. Bluescreen

Jul 16, 2009
    Thanks you very much for details Sedmi, I will do that. However does the "repair" function will remove all Microssoft hotfixes since SP3 too . ??

I have made a Nlite CD with RAID drivers but need to add the new ones for the Z68 Intel chipset. (Gigabyte Z68x-UD4-B3).
    Yes, no more diskette slot with new Mobo, so F6 will not work anymore.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Bluescreen

Jul 16, 2009
    Thanks sedmi, Worked as advertised. Same as for Raid 1, my array has been recognized into BIOS and using your method everything works fine now.
    I previously made a new Nlite CD with RAID drivers and max of Hotfixes from MS. :)