Windows XP SP3 on USB flash drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by studyete, Nov 7, 2011.

1. studyete

studyete MDL Novice

Nov 7, 2011
    HAlo, I've made an usb boot-able flash drive using wintoflash, it working fine with my desktop. But the problem is when I try to install xp to my laptop. hard drive won’t show up. I don’t have CD or Floppy, that’s why i want to install XP from usb. What can i do?

2. studyete

studyete MDL Novice

Nov 7, 2011
    #3 studyete, Nov 7, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
    (OP)
    I'm using Compaq Presario CQ40 Series Notebook. I don't know what its hdd. I'll try your link. if problem pop up, i'll let you know. But notebook's CD drive is not working. so i must have a solution to install XP from usb pren drive. i don't have other option. if you think the link will not help, please let me know the other way. Thanks

3. studyete

studyete MDL Novice

Nov 7, 2011
    I'm trying online to get the driver. But i'm not getting it, can any one help me to find the correct link for compaq presario cq40 plz?

4. Archetype

Archetype MDL Novice

Feb 13, 2011
    Do what Stayboogy says. It is the correct way. If you can not find the drivers the other way is to install windows 7 . Not necessarily the Ultimate edition . I did the same on a netbook with 1GB RAM (Home Basic Edition) and works fine. Maybe Home Premium works fine too .

5. studyete

studyete MDL Novice

Nov 7, 2011
    I guess this was only option to my problem and its not working :( thanks all.

@archetype, windows 7 making my laptop slower, that's why i thought it would be better to install xp

6. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  7. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    yeah, it is a common problem that some motherboards don't always take the standard, generic drivers, so do what Tito suggested and slipstream a driverpack. that should most definitely take care of your issue.

and all you have to do is go to HP's site and it will recognize your laptop and you can find just about anything for it. your model CQ-40 has over 40 different models under that same number, so if you want us to help with that we will need the rest of the model number, ie. CQ-40-100, CQ-40-410AU, CQ-40-100Q, etc. etc.

8. Real327

Real327 MDL Novice

Nov 16, 2011
    First, what program can I use to easily slipstream additional files into XP. I have used nlite in the past but it tends to fail more than it works. Second, I was told that a laptop w/o fdd/cd is actually a netbook. Was I told wrong ?

9. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    yes if it does not have a disc drive it is a netbook (usually) but most every netbook i've ever seen has usb and if it does not then it's worthless in my opinion...

10. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    ubcd4win with ubusb.exe

or use sardu to create an xp usb installer.

11. steve2926

steve2926 MDL Member

Nov 13, 2010
    try RMPrepUSB website Tutorial #30 - should work with most Intel based chipsets using unmodified XP ISO and pressing F6 to load Firadisk and AHCI driver.