Windows XP Update Agent 7.6.2600.255

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by computercenterhanover, Oct 18, 2013.

Tags:
  1. piercekalton

piercekalton MDL Senior Member

Apr 2, 2010
    I thought this too and initially I did try it but it wasn't working either. I am sure it would improve the situation though if I had fixed some other factors.

2. oldsh_t

oldsh_t MDL Expert

Dec 23, 2009
    226 will help a bit but don't expect Miracles. Windows update does and will work, it just takes time to go through. My last clean install took 26 min. to get through. And with Oz (post #15) it took 40 min. I can always tell when they are actually checking my system because my HD is clicking like crazy and my modem light flashes like crazy also. I just checked mine this morning and it went through in 1 min???? Go figure!! I am sure M$ is playing with the XP users. They are trying to drive them to Win8.
    Go to Windows update...... start it checking..... then go have a coffee and let it run. It will go through at some point.
    I'm running IE8 and it makes no difference!!

3. Oz

Oz MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    After I installed the above WU fix, I'm now getting constant freezes of the OS, lasting about 20 sec each. I did not go through installing any of the updates it eventually offered.

Currently I do NOT recommend anyone to install this "fix".

4. oldsh_t

oldsh_t MDL Expert

Dec 23, 2009
    Which WU fix are you talking about. There are currently 3 posted here?

5. Oz

Oz MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    The WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86-7.6.7600.256-257.exe

Ran the sfc /scannow yesterday after and it seems to have stopped the freezing, looked like quite a few files were repaired/ replaced.

6. oldsh_t

oldsh_t MDL Expert

Dec 23, 2009
    Well that was the one I posted, but I am quite sure it did not cause your freezing. I have been using this for a little over a month now, on 2 XP systems, without a problem. In fact I get in to WU in about 1 to 1.5 min. now. The only time it takes longer is on a clean install and only the first time I go to WU, after that I am in quickly!! There is nothing bad in the batch file and the creator is not trying to harm anyone. If he was he would never have made a batch file. Batch files are easy to open and read. I read it all before I ever used it and it does what he said it would, download everything from M$ that was needed.

7. Oz

Oz MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    #27 Oz, Oct 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Hi oldsh_t

Not saying something was done deliberately to damage a system, only that mine went very funky day after I ran the forced WU. If it was a coincidence time will tell.
    Yes I do normally look in bat files too before I run them, just initially missed the

Code:
    WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86-7.6.7600.256-257.exe /wuforce

switch right at the end.

8. Jan1

Jan1 MDL Novice

May 20, 2010
  9. oldsh_t

oldsh_t MDL Expert

Dec 23, 2009
    @Jan1
    Read mcihelka's solution and that is exactly what is happening to me. Clean install and have a hard time to get into WU, but once in OK after that. IT's that first time trying to get in that is the bugger with me and most people.
    I run IE8 with the correct Cumulative Security Update, and I don't install KB905474 and yet I still have problems getting in the first time.:mad:

10. alex_voyager

alex_voyager MDL Junior Member

Oct 30, 2007
    My solution to resolve 100% CPU
    I installed Windows XP SP3 included MSDN
    1. Open Taskmanager to look if CPU is at 100%
    2. Stop the windows update service
    3. Install IE 8 uncheck security updates (maybe it use windows update service, i don't remember).
    4. Install KB2879017
    5. Enable windows update service
    6. wait...the automatic update (don't open windows update from browser).

Maybe a must install a new XP SP3 VM...l'll try better the procedure...

11. oldsh_t

oldsh_t MDL Expert

Dec 23, 2009
    Just an update here for you and everyone else!!

I have removed my link from the first page. Oz you had me thinking and it got me worried that I may have posted something that will not work on Win7. I installed this on my Win7 today, (not that I ever had any problem with Win7 updates) just wanted to see for myself. Well it did not work properly and locked me out of WU?? I did eventually get back in with a restore.

Although I still think it OK for Win XP (I still use it with no problems) I removed the link anyway Just in case. Don't want to cause any problems for anyone.

I apologize to you and everyone here @ MDL. Next time I will check things better before ever posting something!!:(