Windows XP VLK ----> OEM SLP

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by oddballracing, Mar 22, 2009.

1. oddballracing

oddballracing MDL Junior Member

Dec 6, 2008
    First post in a while, but I think i might run into a snag here sometime soon, so here goes.

Currently i am using a Windows XP VLK for my installs (not going to post the key, maybe i can buy myself some time with that decision) and i am worried about this key getting blocked very soon. I am wondering - since i have this scenario installed on quite a lot of machines - if there is a way to change my licensing from a vlk to an oem slp install without having to reinstall windows, and if so what modifications will need to be made to registry or other as well as where i may need to put the oembios files on the system. I havent gone ahead with testing any of this, nor have i modified my bios just yet. I plan on testing this on an intel D945GCLF as i have heard that the slp string can be added via Intel's ITK in the SMBIOS section. I do have an HP notebook that came with "downgrade rights" to xp pro and also came with install media for both Vista and XP Pro, and i am wondering what would the best way to find out if this is SLP (I'm pretty sure it is) and what utility or utilities would help me find this out.

Oddball_Racing

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. offon7544

offon7544 MDL Expert

Sep 27, 2007
    First of all, you need to have a SLP string in your bios, if not you need to add it to your bios

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. oddballracing

Dec 6, 2008
    #3 oddballracing, Mar 22, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2009
    (OP)
    Thanks for your quick reply, i might be able to have this figured before monday. I read another thread (I think it was the request sticy actually) that the SMBIOS info can be modified with the itk to add the string, the thing is that i don't know which field needs to be modified for this to work. i see options for manufacturer,model, serial number, etc. for both chassis and system.

I do have a laptop on hand that i believe has slp info in bios, i just want to check to be sure, but i don't know what to use to check it

Edit: I used everest to check my PID/KEY and they match a record in the list of OEM SLP keys in the Windows XP forum sticky for Compaq - this is on the laptop. Would I be able to use this same key on the intel motherboard, or is there perhaps more to it than i think? DMI information shows "Hewlett-Packard" for Chassis,Motherboard and System Manufacturer on the laptop

4. offon7544

offon7544 MDL Expert

Sep 27, 2007
    To find slp string if exist, search on the forum : oembios.exe
    ITK is for intel bios.
    "Hewlett-Packard" is a good string that you can put where you want.

5. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  6. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    I doubt your key is going to get blacklisted. XP is going to extended support real soon, which means that unless it is a major security flaw the problem will not get fixed.

If your key is still working with XP SP3 then it is not going to get blacklisted. It would have already been blacklisted or WGA would say you are not genuine if you try to download MS software requiring WGA.

7. bachett

bachett MDL Novice

May 31, 2007
    I know we can change product key using KeyUpdateTool.exe from MS or keyfinder but in the above case, converting from vlk to oem would not work with these tools without reinstalling windows.

XPLIC will convert from 1 licence to many other licences. It will find and replace oembios.*, pidgen.dll, pdcdll.dll files and product key on the fly to your liking without reinstalling.

8. oddballracing

Dec 6, 2008
  9. offon7544

offon7544 MDL Expert

Sep 27, 2007
    Like you want, no problem.

10. oddballracing

Dec 6, 2008
    Update: Just installed XP on my laptop (old hard drive crapped out more or less and corrupt registry, machine's been a little messed up for a while) threw in a 60G Hitachi i had lying around and went to reinstall with the VLK Image and key i've been using for a while. WU does not validate, not an error, it actually states that it is a blocked VLK, now i really need to get on the slp activation. WGA diag states the same, blocked vlk. this is using WGA validation v.1.9.9.1

11. dobbelina

dobbelina MDL Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    #12 dobbelina, Apr 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  12. JohnnyC

JohnnyC MDL Novice

May 12, 2007
    why would you not just take magically keyfinder around a few corporates and get those VLKs it's not like it takes a lot of effort or anything:)

13. oddballracing

Dec 6, 2008
    Figured i would update this thread real quick.

XPLIC works like a charm, just needed to cab up some files that i already had. Definitely a great utility, a little confusing at first but then it makes sense, so far i have two machines set up like this, and flawless :D

oembiosrestoration tool, did not work, after restart, the key and product id reverted, thus failing activation and still using a vlk. it was worth a try though.

so far i do not see any NEED to change windows xp x64 keys due to WGA not even supporting the OS, i guess that could be due to it not being very commonly used outside of high performance business workstation applications.

Anyways, thank you everyone for your input regarding this matter, and i greatly appreciate all of the feedback, this has got to be the most helpful forum that i have come across since dd-wrt, but only for the fact that they cater to a different need.

Thanks,

OddBallRacing

14. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    if it is that easy why don't you do it and post working VLK keys here:D:D

15. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    #16 911medic, May 4, 2009
    Last edited: May 4, 2009
  16. Liebo

Liebo MDL Member

Jul 9, 2009
    #17 Liebo, Jul 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017