windows XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by tonyrjkdavis, Apr 25, 2010.

1. tonyrjkdavis

tonyrjkdavis MDL Novice

Apr 25, 2010
    Hi everyone!
    Have recently had to purchase a new harddrive for my Toshiba tecra (bought a 160GB).
    What I need to know is ...when I have installed it ,do I need to format it or will this be done automatically?
    Am a bit of a novice on these things so any help much appreciated.
    Also I will need to get the operating system on the new HD but do not have the XP install discs...is there anywhere I can download XP or do I need to purchase a new copy?
    Thanks in advance for your help.
    Tony.

2. tonyrjkdavis

tonyrjkdavis MDL Novice

Apr 25, 2010
    thanks for the info...have a couple of more questions if thats OK.
    The download comes in two parts...should I download part 1 and then copy to CD and then download part 2 and then copy to CD or do I need to try and combine the two files as one before copying to CD?
    Thank you for your appreciated time!!
    Regards,Tony.

3. ColdAsIce

ColdAsIce MDL Novice

Aug 24, 2009
    There are 2 files, MultiXP_SP3.part1.rar and MultiXP_SP3.part2.rar, use winrar to extract the ISO and then burn it at low speed.

4. tonyrjkdavis

tonyrjkdavis MDL Novice

Apr 25, 2010
    getting a bit confused now and beginning to realise how thick I am lol.......
    tried to download the file and do not get an option to RUN the file (I think because the file has a RAR extension) so I save the files ...both taking over an hour.
    I use WINRAR but could not find the files for ages.Managed to find the files but what do I do next with them? Do I try and move them to the WINRAR archive and then try and extract them in some way.
    Have been messing around with this for ages but even on the winrar it gives me an error to say invalid file extension.Very confused now!!!
    From the start do I RUN or SAVE the files and where do I save them to?
    Thanks for being patient with me and realise that I am already an idiot lol
    Tony.

5. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    make sure both files are in same folder and right click on MultiXP_SP3.part1.rar and select extract here. you may need to goint winrar setting and select integration.

6. tonyrjkdavis

tonyrjkdavis MDL Novice

Apr 25, 2010
    thank you sir for your help and have managed to get the two files from a RAR format to an ISO format ready to copy to disc.I have combined the two files into one but the file size is too much for a standard size 700mb disc?
    Should I have kept the files seperate and copy onto 2 discs as they only seem to do 700mb discs and the file size is approx 850mb?
    Really appreciate your help as I know there are many other much more important things for you really clever guys to be working on!!
    Thanks,Tony.

7. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    Read the thread and you'll see you can use nLite to strip down the size and you can also remove the oems you dont want.

8. Computer Fixer

Computer Fixer MDL Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Burn the (850MB) ISO to a DVD instead of a CD.
    As long as your laptop can can read DVD's you'll have no problem installing from DVD.

9. tonyrjkdavis

tonyrjkdavis MDL Novice

Apr 25, 2010
    OK have installed the new hard drive into the laptop (tried two different ones) and on boot up it shows the screen RTC battery is low or CMOS checksum is inconsistent press F1 key to set date/time and just keeps bleeping.I have tried to press F1 but nothing happens and I have tried to boot from an XP disc but still get the same error.Any ideas??
    Thanks,Tony.

10. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Sure, change the mobo CMOS battery!

sebus

11. tonyrjkdavis

tonyrjkdavis MDL Novice

Apr 25, 2010
    OK Sebus,will try that.
    Thanks Tony.

12. tonyrjkdavis

tonyrjkdavis MDL Novice

Apr 25, 2010
    wouldnt happen to know exactly where the battery is on this model would you (Toshiba tecra A20) as I have another laptop exactly the same which I can use for bits?
    Thanks,Tony.

13. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    NO idea, you need to open the case & see or find technical manual for the model

sebus

14. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. tonyrjkdavis

tonyrjkdavis MDL Novice

Apr 25, 2010
    thank you all for the help,got the laptop up and running now!!
    Regards,Tony.

16. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Glad to here you got it sorted out, that is one of the stupidest things about most laptops they know cmos battery needs to be changed eventually but they don't give easy access to it.