Windows7 Loader1.6c dual-boot 7 & vista

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by akramh, Oct 17, 2009.

?

Did I do anything wrong?

1. Yes

57.1%
  2. No

23.8%
  3. Not sure!

19.0%
  1. akramh

akramh MDL Novice

Jul 10, 2009
    hi, I tried the Windows7 Loader1.6c by hazar , but had a few issue, is there another loeader I can try? I do not want to consider moding bios at this stage, but maybe I am doing something wrong I could appretiate some advice.

windows7 loader1.6 seems to work fine for windows 7 64-bit and 32-bit non-brand machines I used at home or work, but on a toshiba system that belongs for a friend of mine, I installed windows 7 on a separate partition and tried this , after reboot it was activated. I then rebooted and it said it's permantly activated. so next, I booted into vista to see what happened, and vista went into grace perdiod. so I decided to try the loader on vista as well, after rebooting , it said vista was permanently activated. I rebooted a few times to both OS, and no strange messages, so I left his house. then after a few days my friend calls and says window's vista is saying it's not genuine on the logon screen randolmy and sometimes in other places, but mostly on startup. so I came by and checked everything but the non-genuine message did not come up, I re-installed the loader on vista, then on windows 7 and then rebooted a number of times between the 2 OS and everything seems to be normal so I am confused. so I told him to call me if the message comes up, and it did come up again, from vista he says. so now can I need to understand what is causing this, did I do somethnig wrong? thanks for any help!

2. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    #2 Dolorous Edd, Oct 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. akramh

akramh MDL Novice

Jul 10, 2009
    I think you are right, when I am there I never use hibernate mode, I always restart vista or windows 7 via normal restart or shutdown, and vista's power button by default always make the computer go into hybernate mode I think. I could try what you suggest and if that is the case, I may try some options, I think if I could make the power button shutdown the computer instead of going into hybernate that would reduce the possibility of getting the non-genune message , I think. I read the link you provided and it says if i used hazar's to acticate windows 7, and it de-activated vista, just use hazar's again and that should activate vista, so I guess I have not been doing anything wrong, just need to do some more testing as you suggested to try and pinpoint this issue, and then if I am sure it is what you say it is, then need to find a work around, I am even thinking of disableing hibernate entirly on vista if that would be helpfull, as I do not see the benefit of it on vista if he is going to move to windows 7 anyway... for now he is still testing windows 7 and once he decides he is satisfied with it, we may eliminate vista entirly but I am waiting for his decision.

thanks for your reply! and I will let you know how this goes..

4. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    No problem, if you have any issues just check OPA's repository. Should walk you through the dual boot thing. BTW, the dual boot activation and the hibernate are two different issues, both can cause activation problems. The hibernate/sleep corrects itself on a reboot. The dual boot issue is a little more tricky but you have the info for that.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. akramh

akramh MDL Novice

Jul 10, 2009
    to derausgewanderte, oneextraid and Piatnik, you voted that I did something wrong, can you kindly clarify if there is a better method to achive what I was trying to do? he had vista preloaded on a toshiba laptop, and I resized the partition to give some space for a windows 7 partition. then I tried opal tool as per the wnidows 7 repositarty to try to install OEM files and keys since there is already a SLIP that says toshiba, but I am not sure if it was SLIP 2.1 or not, but the laptop was fairly new, after failing with opal, I tried windows7 Loeader 1.6c and tried only installing toshiba OEM information and many other options, but windows 7 remained in grace period.... after many trials nothing worked so I decided to try installing the loader itself and that permantly activated windows 7 on the machine, but vista became de-activated, and the rest of the story in the above posts.

anyway, if you can share with me a better method then please do, anything except a BIOS mod that is too risky to consider, as it may invalidate the waranty on the machine. I still have an acronis image of the origional vista to restore it to the place it were before I did the partition re-size, so the option to go back to the way things were before vista we de-activated is still possible, but I suspect even if I do that, the windows loader 1.6c must be de-installed or vista will go into grace period again.

one of the solutions I am thinking of is just keeping vista in the grace period for a while untill he decides what to do, this may be one possible solution. if you have any better solutions please share your knowledge as i am a noob when it comes to SLIP 2.1 and activation issues, I only started using these types of loaders a month ago experementing on some PCs at home and work, but this is my first time to try it in a dual boot scenario with vista and windows 7. thanks again for any help!

Lastly I heard of the new Windows Loader 1.6d by hazar, and download it. if you think this could solve my issue I could give that a try. or if you know a better loader to try, also please suggest! thanks again!

6. SCBrigth

SCBrigth MDL Senior Member

May 9, 2009
    #6 SCBrigth, Oct 18, 2009
  7. akramh

akramh MDL Novice

Jul 10, 2009
    #7 akramh, Oct 18, 2009
    (OP)
  8. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    #8 Rosco, Oct 18, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
    First you need to check out what version of SLIC the laptop has. You can download a trial version of Everest latest version and it now tells you what version is installed.

If the laptop has SLIC 2.1 you don't need any loaders - both Vista and 7 will permanently activate with SLIC 2.1 - and using loaders with SLIC tables already in the BIOS is probably responsible for most of the errors people report. If it is 2.1 SLIC get rid of loaders !!!!!

However, if you got the loader to work properly without apparent errors and Windows 7 is activated it is likely there is a key - certificate mismatch for Vista so try installing the proper Vista certificate and key manually in Vista -

the key certificate combination for 7 is wrong for Vista.

Manually installing the key and certificate in Vista should not affect the settings in 7 BUT we don't know what people are doing with their loaders anymore.

All a loader SHOULD (and NEEDS to) do is provide an emulated SLIC BIOS table and no more but these guys are trying to outdo each other and automatically installing Certificates and keys etc.

With the right 2.1 SLIC table without any memory conflicts, the right key and certificate both Vista and 7 "activate" every time BUT the keys for Vista are not 7 keys and vice versa.

Manually installing the Vista certificate and key should work.

9. akramh

akramh MDL Novice

Jul 10, 2009
    ok just got the latest trial version of everest v 5.3, but I have no access to my friend's laptop, I tried using Daz loader to activate my newly installed windows 7 64-bit, and inside everest bios section I do not see anything that says SLIP, propably because my own PC is not OEM? it's a foxcon motherboard with intelchipset ( non-brand ). If I try this latest version of everest on my friend's PC, I will be able to see the SLIC version? btw his PC was purchased around november 2008, and it's a toshiba.

I thought so too, that I would not need a loeader, in the repositary section it recommends trying opal to install the certificate and key, but I found it dificult to use and now sure how it works. now I have Daz's loader, which can be also used to install certificate and key right? if I use Daz's loader to install Toshiba certificate and any key ( I asume all keys can be used for all OEM from what I heard ) on both windows 7 and vista then that should be enough? or is it better to install the right certificate and key manually? if I can cofirm that the laptop has SLIC 2.1 for toshiba, where would be the best place to download and install a certificate? what is the best tool is it opal or daz's loader or there is something better? I'm a SLIC noob so appretiate a recommendation or a link... for the keys I guess I can use any of the ultimate keys available, but do not know how to install them other than using one of the loader's such as Daz loader..

thanks this is helpfull, you have given me many options to try. I want to try de-installing the loader now from both windows 7 and vista, then check the SLIC version through everest as you suggested and try installing the certificates and keys manually, just need to know the best method of doing that for both windows 7 and vista, is daz's loader suffuciant for this? he has a section for bios modd, which in my case might work if I have a SLIC 2.1 for toshiba right? or is there a better tool? what do you mean by manually installing a certificate? I have no idea how that is done, aside from using opal or one of the loaders.... same for keys... thanks for any help...

10. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    #10 Rosco, Oct 19, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2009
  11. akramh

akramh MDL Novice

Jul 10, 2009
    thanks! even more things to try i may go tonight and try :)

12. akramh

akramh MDL Novice

Jul 10, 2009
    Just brorrowed his laptop for a day to check some things, here is what happened..

- uninstalled hazar's loader 1.6c
    - checked SLIC and it's 2.0 , so only vista can be activated without a loader or bios mod
    - as a test installed Toshiba certificate, and an OEM key on vista and it was permantly activated
    - had to install daz loader to get both vista & win 7 permantly activated
    - tested hibernation & reboot between the dual boots, there is no issue what so ever...
    - finally found out what he means by the non-genuine message, it was comming when starting outlook 2007, so I checked the properties and it says it seems office 2007 we preloaded on his laptop by toshiba on vista. on windows 7 I installed the office 2007 blue edition and there is no issue there.

to fix the above issue with office 2007 preload on vista, I would like the best suggestion, if this is not the right forum for this, please let me know and I will ask there. I already returned his laptop but going to visit on friday afternoon to work on that and some other issues, here is what I have in mind and I would like your opinuin:

1. take a partition backup on his vista to avoid making changes, just in case, but this may take hours.... not sure if it's it worth it
    2. I could remove Daz's loader and try activating vista without a loader, and keep windows 7 on grace period to try to see if this would make office genune again, but not sure if that will work, as I have already installed a toshiba certificate, does anyone know what does the OEM Office preload check to validate itself? is it looking for those SLIC2.0 tables? if so removing the loader may solve the issue for now..
    3. try upgrading office with my own 2007 blue edition that does not require serial or activation, but that means destroying his origional preload, and possibility of certain windows updates detecting this as non-genuine, for that reason I usually disable most windows updates on the machines I install this office edition on, but in his case, he his vista machine has been on auo-update for over year now... so god knows what microsoft has put in there by now...

He really likes windows 7 so far, and I think it's so much better for his laptop than vista is. the welcome screen on vista alone stays for 5 minuts sometimes even though his laptop has 3GB of ram and a fairly fast CPU... and so far he wants to play around with windows 7 further , I migrated all his settings and configurations to windows 7, except the old messages in outlook, they remain in his outlook for now, thats why he seems to go back between the two OS right now, if there is a solution to migrate those messages too that would be great, is there an export/imort messages feature in outlook?

I Appretiate any help or advice on this matter!

13. SCBrigth

SCBrigth MDL Senior Member

May 9, 2009
    #13 SCBrigth, Oct 23, 2009