Windows7 mini dump folder absent

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by pamadhilwankalan, Sep 9, 2014.

1. pamadhilwankalan

pamadhilwankalan MDL Junior Member

Nov 16, 2013
    sometimes my system crashes just after starting but restarts nicely. today i tried to see mini dump file to know the cause of BSOD. but interestingly there is no folder named mini dump in windows folder. what should i do??? should i manually make a folder in windows directory???

2. zahnoo

zahnoo MDL Senior Member

Feb 2, 2011
    Are you getting a BSOD or an automatic restart and assuming you had a BSOD type event? The information on the actual blue screen will give you an error code and a faulting file if there was one. This information is generally more useful than trying to interpret a mini dump.

Your mini dump file might be hidden.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. pamadhilwankalan

pamadhilwankalan MDL Junior Member

Nov 16, 2013
    no. mini dump folder is not hidden i checked

4. jokubelis

jokubelis MDL Novice

Sep 9, 2014
    what are you startup and recovery settings?

5. zahnoo

zahnoo MDL Senior Member

Feb 2, 2011
    #7 zahnoo, Sep 9, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
    ^^^ This. If it's set to auto restart on fault, the OP gets no blue screen therefore can't read the screen and see the error number or any faulting file. If a blue screen is displayed what is the error and is there a faulting file listed?

Those two data bits are likely a whole lot more meaningful than a mini dump file.

To generate a mini dump file, this has always worked for me:
    ▪ Have the Page file on the same drive as the OS
    ▪ The Page file's smallest size must be greater than installed physical RAM
    ▪ Set Windows Error Reporting system to MANUAL
    ▪ Set page file to system managed, OS drive

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...