WinHlp32 on foreign language Windows 7 x64

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Muad'Dib, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Muad'Dib

Muad'Dib MDL Novice

Sep 10, 2012
    Dear comrades,
    the update package Windows6.1-KB917607-x64.msu will not install on the Slovak language version of Windows 7 Professional; it exits with the error: "The update is not applicable to your computer."
    The reason is probably that the package does not contain Slovak localization.

Interestingly enough, the package installs and Winhelp works under Czech user interface. It installs on Windows 7 Ultimate in Czech language localization, but when the language localization is switched into Slovak, Winhelp stops working and exits with the error "9009".

I have tried copying the respective Czech MUI files from the cs-CZ directories into the sk-SK directories, updating them in winsxs, etc., but nothing has helped so far.
    Monitoring and comparing both the successful execution of Winhlp32.exe under the Czech UI and the unsuccessful execution of Winhlp32.exe under the Slovak UI in Procmon yielded nothing useful...

Note that I was able to use this update package to restore Winhelp in English Windows 8 Release Preview and run it successfully from the SysWOW64 directory; I have not tried the RTM version with a MUI pack yet, but I assume that the failure must be related to the language interface.

But can anyone explain why it fails? Any suggestions?
    Thank you in advance!