winows 7 search

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by spacednow, Jan 4, 2010.

1. spacednow

spacednow MDL Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Two ?s 1) does windows 7 use hosts files? 2) since search seems virtually useless in win 7 , whats a good proggy to use?, other than booing to other OS; LOL

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. spacednow

spacednow MDL Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Used spybot, but I'm not sure whether the pute actually uses it or not. I set up a computer for someone else and I THINK it was MS Security Essentials that wanted to forward the file for checking, but it may have been comodo proactive defense, I can't remember. Thats what raised the question about it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    yes, hosts file is just as useful now as ever. anything listed there will override DNS lookups.

4. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    search works fine, just learn to index things better.

5. pezzonovante

pezzonovante MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Windows 7 search feature is awesome. In fact it's one of the selling points of Windows 7. Can you be specific about your problem?

6. spacednow

spacednow MDL Member

Aug 26, 2009
    #6 spacednow, Jan 5, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
    (OP)
    Unless I'm searching in the folder where the file is (and I can see it then, duh) windows wont find it. (like dll files as an example) and as another example I frequently attach other ppls hard drives to my computer when I'm straightening out other peoples computers (the REALLY buggered ones, and they need files retrieved if it is a no hope except reformat deal) , but they're not sure where their files are really at.

7. pezzonovante

pezzonovante MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    If you want to search sytem files (which are by default non-indexed), you can still search by file name. At first make sure you go to the "Search" tab in "Folder Options" and check the box "Include System Directories" under "When searching non-indexed locations".

Then, for example, if you want to find all the *.dll files in drive C:, go to drive C: and type *.dll in the search box. You will get all the *.dll files as your search result.

I'm not sure about extra hard-drives though. But I guess it should also work the same way.

And don't forget to index all your Documents and Music so that you can perform searches faster.

8. Zappert

Zappert MDL Novice

Jan 2, 2010
    I have indexing disabled and win7 search is very slow and akward that way.
    So I use Locate 32. It makes a database of all the files in a few seconds ( of my two diks loaded withover 500 gig of files ) and finds things in less then one second.
    I installed it on win 7 pro 32 bit and 64 bit.

9. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    well yeah if you disable indexing (the thing that uses fast search), then it will suck and go back to the old XP way of searching.

10. spacednow

spacednow MDL Member

Aug 26, 2009
    I'll give that a try. I rather like the way XP search works and I do disable indexing. Found a program called SuperFinderXT; I'm going to give it a try also, looks promising.

11. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Just disable the Indexing service

FileLocator Pro is also nice

sebus