Winphlash/phlash - Freeze right before flashing BIOS (BIOS remains intact)

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by pfmc, Sep 11, 2010.

1. pfmc

pfmc MDL Novice

Feb 2, 2010
    #1 pfmc, Sep 11, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
    Hi everyone,

I'm having difficulties flashing a bios to a LG E300 laptop. It's a phoenix bios. Even the original bios can't be flashed. Either with winphlash or phlash(DOS) it does the backup well and then it just freezes everything when it calls the driver (in case of winphlash) to write the flash. Next i post part of the log when it is about to flash:

Does anyone have a clue on what the hell is going on? It's the first time this happens to me, i've flashed lot of phoenix bios and never found this.

any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

2. wuhoatu

wuhoatu MDL Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Is there any BIOS protect function within CMOS?

3. pfmc

pfmc MDL Novice

Feb 2, 2010
    No, not at all, it went well with lg original bios update program, but their winphlash does not react to phlash.ini to prevent version checking, even the command line parameters don't work. It's really odd

4. pfmc

pfmc MDL Novice

Feb 2, 2010
    [solved]

Hi,

To anyone who own a LG E300 or other that prevents flashing, here's what solved my case:

- Goto this website h**p://forum.notebookreview.com/lg/302646-lg-bios-update-all-models-6.html - it will give you details and the link to a ISO from LG
    - Burn the ISO and boot from the disc created.
    - Choose to flash with IDE CDROM
    - follow on-screen instructions, then it wil flash with an old bios version (this will allow to use the most recent bios from lg even it was modified with Andy's tool for phoenix)
    - if one wants to insert slic then you can use phoenix tool directly over the exe provided by LG on their website.

This way i was able to flash an updated bios with slic 2.1 inserted in it.