WinRM is driving me nuts

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by TheSkaffer, Nov 8, 2021.

1. TheSkaffer

TheSkaffer MDL Senior Member

May 16, 2010
  2. TheSkaffer

TheSkaffer MDL Senior Member

May 16, 2010
    I guess some more info might be needed to understand wtf I am not getting right.

One physical server runs Server 2019 Datacenter and has only Hyper-V running as Feature.
    I have installed and updated Windows Admin Center (WAC) on the physical 2019 server on a non default port. (Maybe my first mistake, using a non default port... )
    Opened up the firewall, can log in to and browse WAC over TCP HTTP from other clients. All are DHCP, all are on default home Lan (192.168.*).

On the 2019 I have 5 virtual machines. A SRV2022, A W11, a couple of W10 and an Azure Stack.

I have run the winrm quickconfig on all the machines but still can't register them, could of course be due to non default port. Maybe I should just start over with that.
    Another thing is that I have not specified a common admin account, for obvious reasons, but I should perhaps also make sure they all have a common admin system account to facilitate the WAC joining.

3. wheats45

wheats45 MDL Novice

Sep 11, 2017
    The non-standard port should not matter. I have WAC onnon-standard oprt because IIS runs on the same server I use port 4443 & neer have a problem. Even though technically you do not have to, I install WAC on EVERY machine I intend to access and it takes care of WinRM
    The admin account Icreate (Builtin Administrator account gets disabled and renamed) has the same username and password on all machines - otherwise you are in for a world of hurt.

Another solution is creating an active directory domain