WinToHDD 2.3 with Multi-Installation USB

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by pisthai, Dec 5, 2016.

1. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
  4. Dark Knight

Dark Knight MDL Senior Member

Jul 14, 2013
    Not for nothing, but who would use a third party app to install Windows? I can see cloning or making backups but in the case of installing or reinstalling Windows I like to go directly to the horses mouth, less chance of something catastrophic happening.

5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Seem to be that you didn't realize that I created this topic because of the new feature: Multi-Installation-USB! And so are my other post' about the problems I have with that apps.

If you'd read MDL Windows 10 topics etc., you would have also read about the need of creation of a USB Drive/Storage with multiple Versions of Windows, which is, in fact, a excellent solution for those users who works with multiple computers (own, Friends, Customers)! Or am I wrong?

6. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Today I prepared another HDD for the Laptop and installed Windows 10 Pro 1607 (Build 14393), downloaded today from MS-Server using the Media-Creation-Tool.

After the install of W10 was done, and all required drivers installed also, I added WinToHDD to the OS and run it. Result: all went just well, no problems. Installed also the main apps, I've on any of my Computer, run WinToHDD again to create the Multi-Installation-USB, and again, all went well and the creation of that USB Flash drive was done fully.

So, tomorrow, I'll install 14971 again and do the same procedure, because I'm not able to get the creation of that Multi-Installation USB done on my machines which all run Build 14971! I've 3 Machine on this table: 2 Desktop' AMD based, just different hardware, and 1 Laptop Intel based, and only (till now) I could get WinToHDD working correctly on that extra HDD with older Windows 10 on that Laptop. That clearly states, there's a problem with Build 14791!

Ok, let see tomorrow!

7. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    And just to mention the min. size of the USB Flash drive seems to be 16GB! I was try a few with 8GB, both USB3 and 2, and all were not recognized by the Multi-Installation USB function of WinToHDD! Ok, that simply makes sence because that function is for to create a Bootable USB Flash drive for to get Windows ISO' added to it for installation, and on a 8GB you could just add 1 OS Build, for 2 it's already to small.

8. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Finally, I decided, that WinToHDD isn't a very useful apps.

There several reason for that:
    1. only USB Flash Drive could be used, but USB HDD';
    2. min. size of the WinToHDD USB Flash drive is 16GB;
    3. the Apps is very 'sensitive' and will not work correctly regarding what's installed on the user computer;
    4. the Target HDD, which will be used for to install Windows OS on, will need to have already be partitioned, it didn't works with virgin HDD'.

About 1 & 2:
    • It's maybe understandable that the min size must be 16 GB, just if use 32bit OS ISO Files, even an 8GB Flash drive would be big enough for a WinToHDD drive to keep 2 ISO'! Unfortunately, USB HDD' couldn't be used at all, .

About 3:
    • I hade quite some problems for to get WinToHDD to be able for to create the WinToHDD USB Drive. Only after going back to Windows 10 1607 (build 14393), I could create that WinToHDD USB drive, and that just after installing some apps. The same moment I enabled .Net Framework 3.5, the creation of a WinToHDD USB drive wasn't any more possible. On both Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview Build 14971 and 14986, WinToHDD could not create that WinToHDD USB drives anymore! Although, there quite some amount of regular Apps, which will force WinToHDD not to work correctly, special if such apps need .Net Framework 3.5 or below!

About 4:
    • On a virgin Computer/Laptop and'or HDD, which didn't has any OS and/or Partition etc. on it, even if the user has a working WinToHDD USB drive with ISO' placed on it, WinToHDD will not 'see' the HDD, There 2 Partitions which should be already on that HDD: 1 Boot Partition and 1 System Partition. As I like to 'clean' any HDD used for a new OS installation before that, mainly use LLFMT for to get that HDD back to it's virgin state, I always create the Partitions on a HDD manually, just, that's for me, other's may even didn't know what to do because of lack of knowledge! In case, someone bought a new Laptop, without installed OS and Software, WinToHDD isn't useful, as just one example.

Facit and conclusion:
    User' of WinToHDD need to have quite some knowledge about 'How Computer works' and also need to realize that those apps has it's limitations. For to use in my company and even for my own, that apps has to many limits and is useless for more than just some Test-Run'! Bye, bye WinToHDD!